No announcement yet.

Arlen Specter is Switching Parties!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people have to ask for secret ballots? Should we make that rule for national elections too? And then wouldn't labor organizers know who asked for secret ballots?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What he said.

Imran is one smart cookie.
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; April 29, 2009, 17:23.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ha ha Imran agrees with Ben.
        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Dammit.

Imran was first too.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Why do people have to ask for secret ballots? Should we make that rule for national elections too? And then wouldn't labor organizers know who asked for secret ballots?
            Why should people be forced by their employer to have an election to decide whether or not the can voluntarily join an organization? Why shouldn't the decision as to whether or not to have an election be up to the workers themselves, instead of someone with an interest in making sure they don't have a union, i.e., their employers. The union isn't a government, why should the same rules apply?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Why should people be forced to have an election? Why shouldn't the decision as to whether or not to have an election be up to the workers themselves.
              Excellent question. You see, the union like the government imposes fines on the people. Union duties are the exact equivalent of taxes, which are used to pay the people who are supposed to be representing the worker.

This is why an election is required. Dues, like taxes, are not voluntary for membership. If they were voluntary, I'd say go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                Why should people be forced by their employer to have an election to decide whether or not the can voluntarily join an organization? Why shouldn't the decision as to whether or not to have an election be up to the workers themselves, instead of someone with an interest in making sure they don't have a union, i.e., their employers. The union isn't a government, why should the same rules apply?
                Why should workers be subject to peer pressure to join up a union when everyone can see how they voted and thus be subject to reprisals?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Why should workers be subject to peer pressure to join up a union when everyone can see how they voted and thus be subject to reprisals?
                  ****in A and if you dont think reprisals occur Che, I dont know what planet you're from.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

As opposed to reprisals from the owners?
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

So instead of preventing workers from any reprisals, we should just shift who gets to do the reprisals?

That sounds.... stupid.

Comment

Btw, teh awesome:

When a Senate Republican left his party in 2001, elevating the Democrats to majority status, one member of the GOP was especially vocal about his displeasure: Arlen Specter.

Specter said then- Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords' decision to become an independent was disruptive to the functioning of Congress. He proposed a rule forbidding party switches that had the effect of vaulting the minority to majority status in the middle of a congressional session.

Comment

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

So instead of preventing workers from any reprisals, we should just shift who gets to do the reprisals?

That sounds.... stupid.
                            If the workers vote for a secret ballot, then there won't be any reprisals... from the workers anyways.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                              If the workers vote for a secret ballot, then there won't be any reprisals... from the workers anyways.
                              How about what they do to get more and more workers to sign up for the 50%? My executive agency has busted enough union bosses to know that they aren't all honest.

Comment

Btw, teh awesome:

When a Senate Republican left his party in 2001, elevating the Democrats to majority status, one member of the GOP was especially vocal about his displeasure: Arlen Specter.

Specter said then- Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords' decision to become an independent was disruptive to the functioning of Congress. He proposed a rule forbidding party switches that had the effect of vaulting the minority to majority status in the middle of a congressional session.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X