Avenger -- Why UAVs are great and F-22s suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    Kuci, this is the second time this week you've completely failed at basic reading.

I never said the Avenger is to replace the F-22 in an air superiority role. That was never in discussion. In fact, I said very specifically:

This clearly demonstrates the need for a very high-tech air superiority fighter. But the numbers needed for that are tiny and the quantity already exist. Thus, there's no need for the F-22 program to continue.

My argument is that UAVs are here to replace the F-22 as far as budget and new orders are concerned. No one is saying the F-22s are to be mothballed and replaced by UAVs, the F-22s serve their niche purpose and that's all. The UAVs today CAN do air to air, which is my point, but that DOES NOT MEAN I'm saying they are AIR SUPERIORITY FIGHTERS.
    If the UAVs fill a different role from the F-22 then they aren't replacing it, period. Once we've bought as many tanks as we think we need, that doesn't mean all future rifle purchases are replacing them. If we decided we needed more air superiority fighters, we would end up buying more F-22s. So the F-22 hasn't been replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
      Ahh, so disingenuous in this case. It wasn't Patty that backed up the claim, it was someone else, so you could pretend it didn't happen vis-a-vis Patty.
      Kuci, NO ONE backed up the claim that UAVs can't fire air-to-air. Lonestar said they COULD, not that they COULD NOT.

Third time this week you've failed basic reading comprehension.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        If the UAVs fill a different role from the F-22 then they aren't replacing it, period.
        They are in the context of acquisition budgeting, which is the context that you keep ignoring or misunderstanding.

So the F-22 hasn't been replaced.
        It has in budget terms. There will be no new orders for the F-22, that money is going elsewhere. Some might say commitments towards new F-22s are being replaced by funding to, say, the UAVs.

Read this thread again, this time very carefully. I never, ever said the UAVs are to replace the F-22 in the air superiority role.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post

Wow, I disappear for a few hours and Asher completely self destructs
          You're completely delusional. You just spent many posts arguing that UAVs can't do air-to-air, yet it is obvious that current UAVs can fire Stingers, and they're even looking at equipping them with AMRAAMs.

You have once again displayed you actually know very little in terms of high-level military planning, and you're still making this desperate attempt to save face by pretending like I "self-destructed" by proving your statements wrong?

Comment

Fact is, pilotless airplanes are coming and they're coming faster than you want to admit.
            I know that you need to believe this in order for you to justify your ego, but this is not what was said.

I again suggest you leave this thread, you posting in it serves no other purpose but to top an astonishing example of your stuborn ignorance.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Kuci, NO ONE backed up the claim that UAVs can't fire air-to-air. Lonestar said they COULD, not that they COULD NOT.

Third time this week you've failed basic reading comprehension.
              Has Kuci stated experimenting with drugs or something?
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I know that you need to believe this in order for you to justify your ego, but this is not what was said.

I again suggest you leave this thread, you posting in it serves no other purpose but to top an astonishing example of your stuborn ignorance.
                Let's get real here. You've made several statements that have been demonstrably wrong, and you want me to **** off because it exposes you as someone who is all talk with no real knowledge of high-level military planning.

I've done nothing in this thread but make statements people have misconstrued -- which is their problem -- and factual statements that have contradicted your assertions. It's clear why you want me to leave this thread.

You can't honestly believe people are stupid enough to buy into this **** you're spewing. You just spent most of this thread arguing UAVs can't do air combat, and when shown evidence otherwise you then just keep asking me to leave the thread. Pretty obvious what you're up to. Man up, admit you were wrong.

Comment

I see you have now taken on the "myself against the world" mantle. Good luck with that
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

To summarize the good points in this thread... The Avenger is not built for air superiority, but it demonstrates that UAV design cycles are incredibly short. You could have a half-dozen UAV design cycles for every manned fighter design cycle. Also, it shows that UAVs are comparatively very inexpensive. The result of all of this is that our adversaries could quickly obsolete our F-22 force. In anticipation of this, we should stay several steps ahead by winding down F-22 as quickly as possible and building our own air superiority UAV force.

Among the objections to this are the fact that these UAVs can be jammed. However, there's nothing to say that they couldn't have limited autonomy or could communicate through other methods.

On the clear plus side for UAVs, they do not need to accommodate human physiology.
                    Last edited by DanS; April 26, 2009, 13:58.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

UAVs have been the next big thing for at least 10 years. Maybe they are finally here or not. But all I hear from Asher (and Dan) seems to be sort of a game player, read an article view. I trust Patty to have a least a little gefuhl for what things are really like in operations, how far away advancements are, etc.

I think a better argument against the advanced fighters is not so much the UAVs, but the lack of need for better fighters at this time. Just fire up the production line and make the old versions a bit longer.

Comment

Same thing applies with the DDG1000, LCS, etc. And the Virginia class submarines were a travesty. Given that they took 637s and 688s and retired them early. When we were already dominant. **** Lockheed. And **** the "industrial base" argument.

Comment

I see that Lonestar is in full agreement with the expertise of Patroklos.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
                            **** Lockheed. And **** the "industrial base" argument.
                            Agreed. We need to dismember the congressional porkmobile on defense procurement, if for no other reason than they use these inane arguments.

Comment

Uh. I'm not talking to Lonestar, am I Kuci...

I'm referring to Patty's insistence that drones can't do air to air. Not to mention that even Lonestar is wrong here, as there exist plans to test AMRAAMs on the things as well.
                              I like the BK you are doing in this thread.

You have learned well.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I see you have now taken on the "myself against the world" mantle. Good luck with that
                                It's not myself against the world. It's me vs you, and I won.

You still aren't manning up that you were wrong about UAV and their AAM capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X