Avenger -- Why UAVs are great and F-22s suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avenger -- Why UAVs are great and F-22s suck

A new, reduced-signature, unmanned aircraft—the long-rumored, 20-hr.-endurance, pure-jet Predator C Avenger—has emerged from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems’ workshops after a 3½-year gestation period paced by massive growth in UAV production and the use of unmanned designs in combat.
    The weapons bay doors can be removed to allow installation of a semi-submerged, wide-area surveillance pod, says Tom Cassidy, president, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems’ Aircraft Systems Group. Cassidy has earned a unique reputation by using company funds to develop what he believes the military needs rather than chasing Pentagon requirements that shift with disheartening regularity to produce cost increases and production delays. The result is a family of Gnat and Predator designs that are used by all the services and intelligence agencies.

On 23 April 1991 the USAF ended the design and test flight competition by announcing Lockheed's YF-22 as the winner...

The first production F-22 was delivered to Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, on 14 January 2003 and "Dedicated Initial Operational Test and Evaluation" commenced on 27 October 2003.
    The Unit Procurement Cost was estimated at $177.6 million
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

UAVs are the wave of the future. Protoss Carriers, here we come!
    B♭3

Comment

Suck it, Patty!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

These UAVs are such a GAAS.

(o-ho-ho, I slay me...)
        B♭3

Comment

Lol UCAVs are submitted to less rigorous testing than manned vehicles and didn't suffer through a a decade of tight military budgets.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Yes, trusting human security to robots is a brilliant idea.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              UCAVs are submitted to less rigorous testing than manned vehicles
              Yes, that's a benefit of UAVs -- they don't require as extensive of testing. Thanks for pointing that out.

and didn't suffer through a a decade of tight military budgets
              If they had, the UAVs' cost competitiveness would have highlighted their relative attractiveness even more.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                Yes, trusting human security to robots is a brilliant idea.
                I don't see what's wrong. Weren't you rooting for the Sentinels and Agents too during The Matrix?
                B♭3

Comment

The Matrix is a metaphor for capitalism. Neo = commies.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    Yes, that's a benefit of UAVs -- they don't require as extensive of testing. Thanks for pointing that out.
                    Point is that it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. In fact, it's a lot like comparing Apples and Oranges. With the added fun that if we go to war with someone who is halfway technically inclined they can ruin our comms and render all those UAVs ****ing useless.

If they had, the UAVs' cost competitiveness would have highlighted their relative attractiveness even more.
                    It took the Predator something like 7 years(with pre-production models flying over the Balkans) to enter widespread service. Obviously not THAT attractive. Comparing a manned Fighter program that got underway at the end of the Cold War(with a decade of tight budgets) where you had a Defense policy that was autistic at best is idiotic.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

That explains why he seemed like such a promising character at first, but everyone was happy to see him die by the end.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                          Fine.

In that case, am I the only one who's hoping the goddamn Terminators win in the new movie, if only so the series can die with what shreds of dignity it has left?
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post

That explains why he seemed like such a promising character at first, but everyone was happy to see him die by the end.

Just be clear, I am NOT saying UAVs are useless and the program should be killed in lieu of the F-22. I AM saying that it's moronic to compare the two programs(especially when one of them had a serious airframe change halfway through due to a change in requirements).

Comment

I have been to the GA campus...

Comment

Working...
                              X