No announcement yet.

Let's judge this woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those arguing that the kids should've just walked home, no big deal...

Hey, I rode my bike all over the place when I was a kid (older than 10-12, though, before I went all that far). But it doesn't sound like these kids knew how to get home. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it sounds like being dropped off 2.5 miles from home might as well have been like being sent to the moon.

You can argue about how that makes them wimps/pussies/whatever, but then who raised them that way?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.
      This is the weak point of my argument that what mom did was okay. The fact that the 10-year-old couldn't find her way home is troubling. Did she not know the area -- even though it's a shopping area only 2 1/2 miles from home? She might have led a sheltered or pampered life. Maybe she just panicked.

I said what mom did was okay because I didn't see her actions putting the girls in an unreasonable amount of danger. The 12-year-old got home okay, so I think my analysis was correct for her. But the 10-year-old was stranded. Troubling. Very troubling.

Maybe mom's real crime was not teaching her kids to be more self reliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        love child of Richard Simmons and Carrottop
        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
          For those arguing that the kids should've just walked home, no big deal...

Hey, I rode my bike all over the place when I was a kid (older than 10-12, though, before I went all that far). But it doesn't sound like these kids knew how to get home. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it sounds like being dropped off 2.5 miles from home might as well have been like being sent to the moon.

You can argue about how that makes them wimps/pussies/whatever, but then who raised them that way?

-Arrian
          That's actually the first compelling argument I've heard for the parent

So, in this story, there are no winners.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            payphone

Good luck finding one nowadays...

They're all over the place here, especially at grocery stores and gas stations. I can't speak for that anus that you call a city.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

She should have beat them instead. It's the only way children will learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                No, there's not. The girl you write of was in her own front yard, right? Either one is wrong. There are other ways.
                You don't use your child as bait to make a point.
                Yes, there is a difference (unless you believe that me hitting you in the arm and kicking you in the crotch as hard as possible while wearing steel-toe boots is exactly the same thing).

As far as the "use your child as bait to make a point"....wtf??

Whether it is acceptable to spank or slap a kids mouth to make a point is a topic for another thread.
                If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                  They're all over the place here, especially at grocery stores and gas stations. I can't speak for that anus that you call a city.
                  In my experience it would be hard to actually find one nowadays. They don't tend to be replaced when they break.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                    You could just kill those two and have more to replace them, too. And then you tell your new kids that the last ones were such idiots, and that unless they want to end up like them, they'd better behave.

MAKE EXAMPLES OF THEM, PEOPLE!
                    Ah. The Roman method.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

What I hate is the moms who accidentally kill their kids get off without anything, and those who merely threaten get so heavily fined. They've got it backwards.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        Ah. The Roman method.
                        I was actually thinking this, starting from ~2:00 in.
                        B♭3

Comment

I've kicked my dad out of the car before. He was being a jackass.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                            QFT. When che and I were in grammar school we routinely walked to/from school 1 mile each way (1 1/2 in middle school). Hell, in 5th-6th grade I walked home for lunch and back, either to my house or downtown.

Still now I can't imagine letting my kid do that. Maybe it's the "I was a boy and she's a girl" thing.
                            Maybe it's because she's not three yet.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                            X