Trial begins in slaying of transgender woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial begins in slaying of transgender woman

GREELEY, Colorado (CNN) -- It started as a tryst, arranged online, in a quiet town in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains. She was an 18-year-old transgender woman. He was a 32-year-old rough-and-tumble gang member.

Allen Andrade is on trial for the slaying of an 18-year-old transgender woman.

1 of 2 It ended in homicide.

Jury selection was completed Thursday in the trial of Allen Andrade for the murder of Justin "Angie" Zapata, and opening statements were scheduled later in the day.

Andrade has been charged with murder plus a bias-motivated crime.

Zapata was 18 years old in the summer of 2008 when prosecutors say she met Andrade, then 32, on the popular online networking site MocoSpace.

According to a police affidavit, the two arranged to meet and Zapata brought Andrade to her apartment in Greeley, Colorado, where they spent two days together. During that time, according to the affidavit, Andrade says Zapata performed oral sex on him. When Zapata was out of the apartment, Andrade noticed photographs of Zapata that made him "question victim Zapata's sex."

When Zapata returned, Andrade confronted her. Zapata declared, "I am all woman." Andrade then grabbed Zapata's crotch and discovered a penis.

What happened next is gruesome.

According to the affidavit, Andrade told police he began hitting Zapata with his fists, knocking her to the ground. He then grabbed a fire extinguisher and hit her in the head two times.

He told police he thought he had "killed it," referring to Zapata, and covered her with a blanket. He then set about trying to clean up the crime scene. While doing this, he heard "gurgling" sounds coming from the victim and saw Zapata sitting up. He hit her again with the fire extinguisher.

This time Zapata was dead.

Don't Miss
    KMGH: Arguments set in transgender murder trial
    KUSA: Crime of passion, defense says
    Andrade took Zapata's car and fled. Two weeks later, police discovered the car and arrested Andrade.

Calls to Andrade's public defender for comment have not been returned.

The case has become a rallying point for supporters of the transgender community who have held vigils and launched Web sites in remembrance of Zapata. They are calling for the inclusion of transgender people in hate-crime statues across the country and at the federal level. Currently 11 states and the District of Columbia recognize transgender people in their anti-hate crime laws.

Mindy Barton, legal director for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center of Colorado, says this has the makings of a landmark case.

"We believe this is the first case of any hate crime law being applied in an anti-transgender murder case," Barton says. "A vicious attack such as this, with the evidence of overkill and excessive brutality, leaves the whole transgender community feeling afraid to live their daily lives."

If convicted of first-degree murder, Andrade will face a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. The charge of a bias-motivated crime carries only a one- to three-year sentence, but Barton says the length of sentence isn't important.

"It is not the sentence which is important, but the fact that victims, perpetrators and law enforcement officials recognize that such bigotry and hatred will not be tolerated," she says. "That is the important message when there is a charge and a conviction under a hate-crime law."

Court officials in Greeley are preparing for possible protests outside the courthouse. The trial is expected to last about two weeks

This is terrible, on so many levels.

I am a Christian, dont bash me, not here to Bible Thump anyone as I dont have my mess together.

I am here to say however, a crime is a crime, but when someone attacks,mames,murders or tortures someone because of religious beliefs, gender choice, lifestyle choice, color of skin..you name it its wrong, PERIOD!

I dont want to get into sick jokes or twisted humor, for those trying to get any sort of attention, but for real, this is so sad.

Yes this lady chose to have a relationship with this man, I wonder if she knew his background, that he was a member of a group of guys who ran with tough crowd (Dont get me started on Machismo front in avoiding dealing with inner feminine feelings, I know this all too well!) but it would appear, without convicting this man, that he went ape$h!t when he found out "she" had a male organ.

Im very somber and very serious, a pure shame is all, due to this lady choosing to live her life how she felt within, that it cost her, cost her life because someone else felt it more important to kill her than say Im not like that and walk away.

Now, irreguardless how folks who do love or do not love the Lord Jesus Christ, I have never seen in the Bible where it was ok to attack a person and mame or kill them because of a lifestyle decison.

That is incomprehensable to me, it really hurts to know that this takes place.

Bother Bruce

Picture below are the supect and the victim
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

She was a pretty lady. RIP.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nothing excuses what the guy did to the her, but she should have been upfront about the fact that she was transgendered.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This guy should burn in hell.

I would also like to know why this transgender person knowingly attempted romance with a heterosexual male pre-op? That seems like a very bad and dangerous choice given the dudes mug shot above.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

It doesn't say there was any deception on her part. In fact, why do you assume deception on her part, but not the murderer's?

Pat, what would you expect? That was kind of the whole point behind the transformation.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

It doesn't say there was any deception on her part. In fact, why do you assume deception on her part, but not the murderer's?
            Did you not read the OP? She very clearly kept the fact that she was transgendered from him.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Maybe so. It's kind of inconclusive, and from the statement of a murderer.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                It doesn't say there was any deception on her part.
                The part where she declares, "I'm all woman."
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Nothing excuses what the guy did to the her, but she should have been upfront about the fact that she was transgendered.
                  This.

The person who killed her doesn't even have to have been a horrid person. Just someone with anger issues.

She wasn't killed for being transgender. She was killed because dude discovered that she was a dude after sex.

This isn't an example of a hate crime.

JM
                  (I am saying her out of respect for the victim. But ifyou have a penis you are still a dude, sorry.)
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    He was a pretty lady. RIP.
                    Corrected.

RIP.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And where in the world does religion/etc come into it?

Plenty of atheists would be pissed too.

In fact, anyone who is straight would be pissed.

Most people would just have enough control over their anger to not assault and murder someone.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It's first degree murder. That's what matters.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Good luck showing that this was premeditated.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

This story sucks.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

A few years ago, some guy in the US military fell in love with a transgendered person (M-to-F). He even knew that she was transgendered.

When his military roommates found out about it, they clubbed the guy to death in his sleep.

There was a movie made of this, IIRC. Starring the guy from Pushing Daisies.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X