No announcement yet.

F-22 will see no more orders, VH-71 cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With what? Those magically non-stike F-22??

How ****ing stupid are you? The U.S. Air Force has many, many strike aircraft that can fly out of the same airfields as the F-22...

How did you reply to two different postes in one post, quoting both. Are you an admin, Drake?

I rule this site.

Comment

• Carriers can move, and we have effective ways of dealing with subs, though they are not foolproof.

The kind of large, long runway airfields and bases that could handle a F-22 don't move, and the Chinese know where they are, and their missiles to destroy them cost way less than $100M+ and can be launched from many places from the Chinese mainland out of effective US reach....
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
        With what? Those magically non-stike F-22??

How ****ing stupid are you? The U.S. Air Force has many, many strike aircraft that can fly out of the same airfields as the F-22...

Yeah, planes running from those burning Taiwanese airfields..

Do you even have a ****ing clue how such a war would work? You think the Chinese would say : lets go to war with Taiwan, then wait for the USAAF to move its planes and support staff to Taiwain, before it struck?

If China decides to move against Taiwan, they get the first shot, and those airfields are the first things to go, if they can destroy them. Then were are you going to put those fancy planes, HUH?

Carrier based planes will have the be the US's main line for control of the air in any conflict with China over Taiwan, period.

Comment

• I have spent lots of time dancing with the one eyed lady. Have spent time on a carrier, observing ops (including the level of knowledge of the ASW, carrier and CVBG leaders. Want to know what the magic bullet is, skimmer sailors?*

*hint USS Indy

Comment

• I am completely baffled by GePap's assumption that Taiwanese airfields are an inherently more dangerous place to base U.S. aircraft from than an American aircraft carrier.

Comment

• Kinda sad that the F-22 may not be built anymore, but I can see the logic behind cutting that program. I don't see why the government can't just switch over to World Builder mode...
              B♭3

Comment

• I could literally take on a CVBG with a Sturgeon (assuming no covering sub) and feel confident in taking out most of it. For sure the high value assets. Unless they do what the Indy failed to do.

Comment

• Enough attack subs and you can butt-**** any other navy out there.

Enough air superiority planes and you can butt-**** any other air force out there.

Comment

• Fighters are not the bottle neck in the current world. This is not the battle for Britain.

Comment

• Isn't that why a CVBG always contains multiple defensive Subs? Isn't that like saying A tank can be easily defeated so long as it Armor plating is removed?
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Impaler[WrG] View Post
                        Isn't that why a CVBG always contains multiple defensive Subs? Isn't that like saying A tank can be easily defeated so long as it Armor plating is removed?
                        No.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            Can the F-22 take off on aircraft carriers and perform VTOL?

The answer is no, before you have to google that. Less capable != less stealthy.

The costs are nowhere near comparable, either.
                            The F-22 is an Air Force figther and not a Navy fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO View Post
                              we're number one. Let's stop wating time in Iraq and afganistan and pare back. The Cold War is over. Who will we fight? The Martians?
                              It will be the Chinese sometime is the next 20 years or so when they tell us to get the H3ll out of the Western Pacific, and don't come back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                                I am completely baffled by GePap's assumption that Taiwanese airfields are an inherently more dangerous place to base U.S. aircraft from than an American aircraft carrier.
                                Becuase you can find Taiwanese airfields by looking up Google Earth, and then by doing some trig, the Chinese could aims their hundreds of missiles at them. Carriers at least get the ability to MOVE. And F-22 are not the kind of planes you get to base at dirt strips.

You are out of your mind if you think that the US would have any planes on Taiwanese soil prior to the start of hostility. How long would it take to rebase a squadron of F-22 and all the support equipment and personnel? Now do this during hostilities. Unless we assume the Taiwanese would have the capability to maintain air superiority on their own (which negates the need of our planes) or that the Taiwanese with help of US naval aviation can do so(which you claim can't be done due to the vulnerability of carriers), I don't see the US trying to move its pricey stallions to large airbases as missiles are raining down.

And any US attacks on actual Chinese soill would be a difficult political question because once you hit back Chinese soil, well, now they have the rationale to escalate - an again, I don't think any US president at the end is willing to trade LA for Taipei.

Comment

Working...
                                X