Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Then you reject Kinsey who says precisely the opposite.

Why not, Mr. Fun? What's the difference between the two. I've heard both arguments given.

So people only do things because they are reasonable? Suppose we take a younger boy about 12 or 13 who doesn't have much experience in anything. He's totally baffled and mystified, wants girls to pay attention to him, but doesn't have a clue how to go about doing so. Say some older man pays attention to him and treats him like a real person. Then that man takes advantage of him and asks him for sex.

Sure they do. What if they say they are waiting for marriage?

I think it can work both ways. It's certainly less likely, simply because of the numbers. If there are only 2 percent of people who are exclusively gay, that says nothing about those who swing back and forth according to their whims.

People aren't reasonable, Mr. Fun, least of all in this realm.
    1) To treat Dr. Kinsey as THE ultimate authority on sexuality for all eternity is akin to treating Darwin as THE ultimate authority on evolution. In both, sexuality and evolution, further studies have been done, and other scientists have done more extensive work. Kinsey's work was not the final, end-to-all understanding of everything that can know about sexuality. So there is nothing unreasonable to question any shortcomings in Kinsey's work in light of more recent and more sophisticated research. Same goes, for example, with Darwin's own work on evolution. We have entirely new understandings of evolution that Darwin himself had not realized.

2) If you're making the claim that having sex with mutual consent, or as result of rape determines a person's sexual orientation dependent on which gender the partner or rapist was, you have absolutely ZERO understanding of sexuality in general. Whom you have sex with does not by itself determine your sexual orientation - especially when rape or pedaephilia is involved! There are men married to a wife and they have sex with their wife, but some of those men are actually closeted gay men.

3) I have no clue what you mean by "straight people waiting for marriage."

4) Sexual orientation is not determined by a person's "whim." So with this specific absurdity, I have nothing further to say here.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• 1) To treat Dr. Kinsey as THE ultimate authority on sexuality for all eternity is akin to treating Darwin as THE ultimate authority on evolution. In both, sexuality and evolution, further studies have been done, and other scientists have done more extensive work. Kinsey's work was not the final, end-to-all understanding of everything that can know about sexuality. So there is nothing unreasonable to question any shortcomings in Kinsey's work in light of more recent and more sophisticated research. Same goes, for example, with Darwin's own work on evolution. We have entirely new understandings of evolution that Darwin himself had not realized.
      Have any of these studies shown that sexuality is fixed and unchanging?

2) If you're making the claim that having sex with mutual consent, or as result of rape determines a person's sexual orientation dependent on which gender the partner or rapist was, you have absolutely ZERO understanding of sexuality in general. Whom you have sex with does not by itself determine your sexual orientation - especially when rape or pedaephilia is involved! There are men married to a wife and they have sex with their wife, but some of those men are actually closeted gay men.
      And there are men having sex with other men who are actually straight.

3) I have no clue what you mean by "straight people waiting for marriage."
      What's not to get? Most folks these days seem to prefer experience.

4) Sexual orientation is not determined by a person's "whim." So with this specific absurdity, I have nothing further to say here.
      You said it wasn't reasonable for someone who was straight to be gay. That presumes some facility of the will.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Have any of these studies shown that sexuality is fixed and unchanging?

And there are men having sex with other men who are actually straight.

You said it wasn't reasonable for someone who was straight to be gay. That presumes some facility of the will.
        The more recent studies are focusing on how sexual orientation develops. Most of those doing such studies believe sexual orientation to be determine by other factors that excludes people being able to choose one's sexual orientation. Genetics or brain chemistry are some examples of such theories.

Yes - it's not that unusual that after months and years of sex deprivation in all-male facilities or institutions where men are not free to get access to sex with women, such men will resort to sex with other men. Question remains how many of those men are actually gay - are they gay just because they have engaged in sex with men, if they would never have done so in more ordinary circumstance/situations? Such situations does NOT disprove that sexual orientation is NOT a choice.

People have discussed bisexuality and the theory of a spectrum where one is more toward one end of spectrum than other, rather than being absolutely of just one sexual orientation. But if you do not buy into the spectrum idea, then if one is bisexual, you would conclude that this precludes that person from being heterosexual or homosexual.

Comment

• While contemplating how boring this thread has gotten (predictably), I realized there were no Field of Dreams pictures (if you use the title, you asked for it). So,

Ok, I'm good now.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• While contemplating how boring this thread has gotten (predictably), I realized there were no Field of Dreams pictures (if you use the title, you asked for it). So,

Ok, I'm good now.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Thank god you don't harrass me like this on Facebook.

yet . . .

Comment

• You aren't worthy of my attention on Facebook . Do something interesting and I'll think about it.

Besides, I spent more time on Twitter than Facebook anyways.

Comment

• My heart aches now.

Comment

• People have discussed bisexuality and the theory of a spectrum where one is more toward one end of spectrum than other, rather than being absolutely of just one sexual orientation. But if you do not buy into the spectrum idea, then if one is bisexual, you would conclude that this precludes that person from being heterosexual or homosexual.
                    The reason for a spectrum is that it works quite well for bisexuality, while at the same time explaining why some people do change, while others do not. It does not deny that there are people at either end who are very stable, and some who are in the middle who are not so. I really don't get the issue with the spectrum.

The problem with the fixed theory is it does not work well with the real world.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• The difference between homosexuality and deafness is that deafness is a defect. Furthermore, deafness often IS chosen, because it is the result of listening to music too loudly or working someplace with very loud noises. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is innate in some people, and the evidence is now strongly pointing to a genetic cause.
                      Mine's genetic, and unfortunately I make a very poor candidate for the treatments which are available. If I had scarlet fever or something that would be one thing, which could be dealt with an implant. I have been finding that my aids are not working very well anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        While contemplating how boring this thread has gotten (predictably), I realized there were no Field of Dreams pictures (if you use the title, you asked for it). So,

Ok, I'm good now.
                        Second best movie set in Iowa ever. The best being this one:

To my knowledge, only two movies have ever been set in Iowa.
                        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• I was going to say Napoleon Dynamite, but then I realized it was filmed in Idaho.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Mine's genetic, and unfortunately I make a very poor candidate for the treatments which are available. If I had scarlet fever or something that would be one thing, which could be dealt with an implant. I have been finding that my aids are not working very well anymore.
                            You're not trying hard enough.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                            X