Anarchy Applied to Family Life: Give Kids a Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anarchy Applied to Family Life: Give Kids a Say

I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought some might find this article to be interesting:

It's your call, kid
    According to the growing consensual living movement, parents and children have equal say in family life - even at bedtime, Adriana Barton reports

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
    March 31, 2009 at 4:53 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — One morning last September, Melanie Leavey's six-year-old daughter, Savannah, insisted on wearing a Halloween cat costume instead of normal clothes. She wore it all day long, and the next too. Eventually, she agreed to take off the costume so it could be washed, but the minute it was laundered, she pulled it on again. Weeks passed, then months. It wasn't until February, almost six months later, that Savannah finally decided to put the cat costume to rest.

But at no point did her mother try to make Savannah stop wearing it, says Ms. Leavey, who lives in Burlington, Ont., with her husband Brandt, Savannah and Sebastian, age 4.

Getting Savannah dressed in the morning had long been a battle. "I tried all the mainstream parenting guru advice, but nothing worked," she says.

So, Ms. Leavey began to practise consensual living, a set of principles designed to help family members understand each other's feelings and meet one another's needs.

Ever since her daughter got the chance to assert her autonomy in her clothing choices, Ms. Leavey says, helping her get dressed in the morning has been "a piece of cake."

In the consensual living model, father doesn't know best. Neither does mom. Instead, parents and children are equal partners in family life, according to the principles laid out at consensual-living.com.

Founded in 2006 by a group of families in North Carolina, consensual living is gaining ground in alternative parenting communities and online, including a Yahoo group with about 900 members.

Devotees study books such as Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn and Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication, and they consider parenting based on punishment and reward structures to be "coercive."

In contrast, "consensual" parenting is non-hierarchical.

"When parents put themselves in the role as authorities, they may believe they are doing it 'for the child's good,' " writes one of the movement's co-founders, Anna Brown, "but they could be missing an opportunity to have more connected relationships with their children."

Lindsay Hollett of Nanaimo, B.C., says that she began to snap less with her husband, Craig, and her 18-month-old daughter, Kahlan, after she adopted the consensual-living mindset about a year ago.

Her days became more relaxed when she focused more on Kahlan's needs, she says. If she had a doctor's appointment but her daughter was feeling grumpy, for example, Ms. Hollett would not force Kahlan to wait with her to see the doctor. Instead, Ms. Hollett might cancel the appointment or arrange alternative child care, she says.

Listening to her child's feelings doesn't mean that every last thing is negotiable, such as being strapped in a car seat, she says. But if they have to go somewhere, she adds, "I'll do everything I can to make the car-seat ride more comfortable."

For now, Ms. Hollett says, the onus is on her to be a role model for consensual living principles such as empathy and mutual respect for her daughter. As Kahlan grows older, though, "it won't just be me empathizing with her."

Understanding a child's developmental stage is a crucial aspect of parenting, according to Alyson Schafer, a Toronto-based psychotherapist and author of Breaking the Good Mom Myth and the recently released Honey, I Wrecked the Kids.

But, she adds, children must be taught to respect a higher authority, such as social expectations. Cancelling an appointment because of a child's mood sends the wrong message, Ms. Schafer says. "It's a parent's job to socialize a child."

Biological needs should be non-negotiable as well, Ms. Schafer says. For example, it doesn't make sense to allow a three-year-old to decide for himself when he's tired - a recent subject of debate on the consensual living Yahoo group.

"Little bodies need to sleep," Ms. Schafer says.

Parents who don't set limits with their children risk pampering their them, Ms. Schafer says, "and that is basically the root of adult neurotic behaviour."

Echota Keller, a mother in Langley, B.C., says that she creates boundaries with her three-year-old son, Kiernen, while "giving him the space to be his own person."

In daily life, she makes a practice of letting him know what her intentions are, she says, "and asking him if that's going to work for him."

Recently, the principles of consensual living have helped her cope with her son's hitting stage, she says.

When Kiernen strikes another child, Ms. Keller asks him what he's feeling and whether he'd like to express his anger or frustration in another way, such as using words or hitting a pillow.

She tells him it's not okay to hit others, but she and her husband, Josh, do not force Kiernen to say he's sorry. "If he's going to apologize, we want it to be authentic," Ms. Keller says.

According to Ms. Leavey of Burlington, using consensual living with small children is a time-consuming process, but the principles are equally well suited to children and adults.

The biggest shift in family life has been to make sure everyone is heard, Ms. Leavey says. The family now works as a cohesive unit, she adds. "There are many less tantrums - and not just on the children's part."

Consensual living 101

CORE PRINCIPLES

* Everyone's wants and needs are equally valid, regardless of age.
    * Children can be trusted to know their own minds and bodies.
    * Punishments and rewards are tools of manipulation, unneeded when family members work as a team.
    * There is a creative solution that works for everyone.
    * Each family member has a positive intent and desires harmony.
    * When all are secure that their needs will be met, they will branch out and help others meet their needs.

TECHINQUES

* In a conflict, identify the underlying needs - usually there are several ways they can be met.
    * Pay attention to the underlying needs in someone who is hungry, angry, lonely or tired (HALT). Sometimes addressing biological needs helps get everyone back on track.
    * Otherwise, explore underlying needs through validation ("You're feeling sad that we're about to leave the toy store, aren't you?") and clarification ("What I hear you saying is that you want more time to look at the marbles, right?").
    * Once others feel heard, revert to "I" statements to express your own needs ("I want to head home so there's enough time to make dinner before everyone gets really hungry").
    * Think outside the box with other family members, including children, to come up with a solution for each situation.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ifeFamily/home

Hilarious.

Feel free to discuss.
    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

The website offers additional fun, though nothing like that toy-store quote. That one's a doozy!
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sounds like a load of bull**** to me.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow. So they let her wear her Halloween costume every day for six months. At an age where she is going to kindergarten. Yeah, I can't wait to see how she turns out.

She tells him it's not okay to hit others, but she and her husband, Josh, do not force Kiernen to say he's sorry. "If he's going to apologize, we want it to be authentic," Ms. Keller says.

So... uh... what if the other kids want to hit their kid until he apologizes? The other kid is just expressing himself. And I'm sure the parents of other kid may want an apology rather than allowing their kid to wail on "consensual living" kid until they 'negotiate' a settlement.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wow, families that co-exist happily without tantrums, fighting, and arguing constantly. What a horrible concept.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Isn't there a way to put people on ignore for certain topics?

But, to answer that somewhat, I'm sure parents can exist happily without tantrums, fighting, and arguing constantly if they simply put their kids in a soundproof shack out in the backyard too. Of course what that kid turns out to be... well, that doesn't matter, right?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              The website offers additional fun, though nothing like that toy-store quote. That one's a doozy!
              I hadn't even read the website. Here's a gem I just gleaned from a quick scan:

"When your child is unwilling to share her toy, instead of forcing, choose to listen and understand her point of view. Facilitate her need for playing with that toy, while helping the other child find something just as interesting."

Yay for not teaching sharing! It's gold I tells ya!

I'll have to read more of that site tomorrow.
              "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

There probably weren't many tantrums either back in the days when a Father was absolute dictator of the home and could legally kill his children until they were, what, 9?
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  Isn't there a way to put people on ignore for certain topics?

But, to answer that somewhat, I'm sure parents can exist happily without tantrums, fighting, and arguing constantly if they simply put their kids in a soundproof shack out in the backyard too. Of course what that kid turns out to be... well, that doesn't matter, right?
                  I think I'd prefer the option that cuts out the fighting, plus produces kids who can function independently, are able to take on responsibility, and enjoy better relationships with their parents.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ozzy, come on. Surely you have to agree that letting a 5 year old make significant lifestyle choices probably isn't going to end well. I mean, if kids were able to make good decisions, parents could probably just kick them out as soon as they were old enough to walk, right?

I mean, seriously. Not forcing your kid to apologize for hitting other kids, and giving the excuse that you want the apology to be authentic? No, the solution is, if your kid isn't sorry, then you give him a reason to be sorry. And yes, I'm aware that you think there is a contradiction in using corporal punishment to discourage violence, but the fact of the matter is that it works.

All these modern day psychologists and advocates are all a bunch of retards. They probably ride the short bus to work. Which brings me to my next point:

**** them. No one cares what people who ride the short bus think, except for other retards. Similarly, no one cares what 6 year olds think, when it comes time to take a bath, dress appropriately, not beat up other kids, and go to bed to get a reasonable amount of sleep. Those are "questions" with very clear cut answers, and if the kid doesn't like it, well, that makes him no different from most other kids throughout history. That is, except for the fact that he has scrambled-egg-for-brains advocates who say that he should get to make these decisions, and the not-unrelated fact that the 5 year old is going to turn into an even more moronic 25 year old.
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                      I mean, seriously. Not forcing your kid to apologize for hitting other kids, and giving the excuse that you want the apology to be authentic? No, the solution is, if your kid isn't sorry, then you give him a reason to be sorry. And yes, I'm aware that you think there is a contradiction in using corporal punishment to discourage violence, but the fact of the matter is that it works.
                      It doesn't work. For lazy parents who just want to survive the next 5 minutes, sure it works for those 5 minutes, but does it make your kid less likely to hit others? No, it makes them more violent.

But the short-bus parenting that you are advocating for doesn't bother to think beyond the inconvenience of the next 5 minutes.

So by all means mock a parenting style that wants to produce a better caliber of human being. We surely don't have enough bullies & neurotics in our society.

Comment

I have seen both strict parenting and loose parenting work well. I agree with about half of the core principals. Kids naturally prefer order, so I don't think it would tend towards anarchy.
                        Last edited by DanS; April 1, 2009, 00:40.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It doesn't work. For lazy parents who just want to survive the next 5 minutes, sure it works for those 5 minutes, but does it make your kid less likely to hit others? No, it makes them more violent.

But the short-bus parenting that you are advocating for doesn't bother to think beyond the inconvenience of the next 5 minutes.

So by all means mock a parenting style that wants to produce a better caliber of human being. We surely don't have enough bullies & neurotics in our society.
                          Sorry, I think I'll stick with what has worked for the last several thousand ****ing years. When your kid misbehaves - in other words, intentionally acts out in a manner they know, or should know, to be completely unacceptable, then as a parent you administer a smackdown, sometimes a public one, if that's what it takes.

You don't stop to discuss the reasons for acting out - you already know. The child is testing boundaries, and the further you let him or her go, the further he or she will go. Yes, there is a time for patient discussion - but there is also a time when discussion won't accomplish much, because the child is determined to eat a plant, or play in the street. The spankings are for their own good, and dammit, it works.

It isn't that that style doesn't work - it does. What makes it less effective is these **** for brains psychologists telling everyone it doesn't work, and creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

Comment

This shouldn't be an issue, I'm sure my kid will be plenty scared of my wife once he gets old enough to understand the meaning of fear
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

What the hell sort of hippie bull**** is this...
                              What happened to the good old days of "FATHER KNOWS BEST", and that the child's opinion really doesn't matter, and if they get out of hand you give them a spanking. Has our society fallen so far, that we are now going to be bossed around be 3yr olds?
                              Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                              Please do not quote Asher.
                              He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Working...
                              X