No announcement yet.

Promote your City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smog in this town makes sunsets pretty sometimes.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I liked Syracuse; OK, the city looked like a dump, but the weather was awesome.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

There is nothing great about cities. I plan to move to Mauritius and live on an island around the age of 50. I'll probably need a pet dog.. or monkey.
        be free

Comment

Washington, D.C.: The best cherry blossoms outside of Japan, and miles-long gridlock from people trying to drive to see them.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
            Los Angeles -- probably the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

LA isn't even close to being the most cosmopolitan city in its own country.
            Well over 100 languages are spoken here, Drake. Do you have any facts to back up your assertion that we're not the most cosmopolitan, or are you just passing wind?

Comment

If you have 100 people all speaking a different language, is it still cosmopolitan?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
                There is nothing great about cities. I plan to move to Mauritius and live on an island around the age of 50. I'll probably need a pet dog.. or monkey.
                When I was there, I needed to show a return ticket before they'd let me onto the island. They don't like foreigners moving there -- unless you're bringing jobs and/or lots of money with you.

IIRC, foreigners cannot own property; so you'll have to lease.

Nice place. I recommend the Grande Baie area.

Comment

Do you have any facts to back up your assertion that we're not the most cosmopolitan, or are you just passing wind?

Page 15...

Miami is the most cosmopolitan city in the U.S. Toronto also ranks ahead of Los Angleles. LA is the top Mexican city on the list, however, just as I predicted.

Comment

How many of those are Cubans, and why aren't they naturalized by now?
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Substitute "Cubans" for "Mexicans" in that question and it would apply just as well to LA. Toronto and New York are the real leaders amongst North American cities in terms of diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                        How many of those are Cubans, and why aren't they naturalized by now?
                        Most of the time those statistics have to do with place of birth, not current citizenship.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd look up the reference, but I don't have access to the US 2004 census...but 59 (I assume percent aliens?) for Miami is insanely high.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                            Do you have any facts to back up your assertion that we're not the most cosmopolitan, or are you just passing wind?

Page 15...

Miami is the most cosmopolitan city in the U.S. Toronto also ranks ahead of Los Angleles. LA is the top Mexican city on the list, however, just as I predicted.
                            That link is worthless. Liike anyone is going to take the time to sift through all that garbage. Do you have anything succinct?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Again, percent foreign born.

And I'm going to note that Australia, Canada and the US (in that order) all see immigration far higher per pop. than do any of the countries in Europe (Ireland possibly excepted in recent years)

IIRC 19% of the whole pop. of Canada is foreign born.

The percentage is far higher in large cities, as immigrants tend to head there.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It depends on when you start your statistics. USA is 99% if you go way back.

Comment

Working...
                                X