No announcement yet.

Nietzsche's views on women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Man and Superman, his best work and easily the most succinct philosophical work justifying nationalism ever written. Of course, he is actually supporting racial theories as Eugenics was one of the dominant science fads of that era. But all of it supported the Nazis in their claims about Germany and explained the miscommunication leading to WW I. It must have been required reading in the latest Bush administration. (Yes, yes, I know no one actually read anything in that bunch, but they sound like they have mastered the underlying philosophy.)
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

What are you smoking?

Nietzsche has never written anything with that title.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
        Till now, I've read "On The Genealogy of Morals", "Ecce Homo", "The Antichrist", "Thus Spake Zarathusthra", and am now working my way through "Beyond Good and Evil".

In BG&E, I have come across passages which seem, at a first reading, to be misogynistic in nature. Not exactly misogynistic - there isn't actually any hatred of or even bitterness towards women there - but his opinions of women seem to be contrary to current dogma.

I have, however, learned to distrust a first reading of anything Nietzsche wrote. It usually takes three readings, if not more, to get just the meaning of what he is saying.

So it's a request to people who know what is being said to tell me what he meant. I know that I probably lack a lot of essential context, as my reading of his works has been haphazard at best.
        I thought you were reading all his work, because he was a misogynist.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5554303

Wenn Du zum Weibe gehst, vergiss die Peitsche nicht
          (Don´t forget the whip if you go to a woman)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

He doesn't seem to display any contempt for them that would be unusual for his times. He definitely sees men and women as complementary and certainly not 'equal'
            If by equality you mean 'sameness'.

One can be complementary and equal, though not the same.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
            X