Privatization of the power grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privatization of the power grid

So which one of you had the pleasure of having his electric company privatized?
    How did it go?

How did that affect power availability? Prices?
    Both short term and mid-term.

I'm very interested because there's a significant chance that it'll happen in Israel in the next 5 years.

My gut says that this will bring increasing prices and poor service for several years, followed by large drops of price after the market stabilizes and the main players are left.

Unless your government-run company is terrible, you can reasonably expect terrible service and price hikes, or worse:

See California's rolling blackouts when they privatized their system.

Once the market stabilizes and there's only a couple providers left, they know you don't have many choices and continue squeezing you for money while treating you badly. For service to be good and prices to be low you'd have to have many competing firms, which you won't in electricity generation.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Privatizing is ****. Happened in NZ, now they can't fix the problems. Govt has to bail them out. Blackouts are too common. Of course, in NZ, there was only one company.

You really need a lot of strong competition for it to work well.
      be free

Comment

VG, we've always had privately owned power companies out here. What caused the rolling blackouts was the deregulation of the utilities which companies like Enron abused by shutting down power plants in order to cause an artificial shortage of electricity so that prices spiked through the roof. The whole Republican mantra against regulations really is stupid because a lot of time regulations are there for a very good reason.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Things have been privatised in Australia in most states, service marginally declined as blackouts take a little longer to fix, they downsized on linesmen after privatization. Government sold the system both to get money for it and to avoid large renewal costs as the infrastructure was beginning to age.
          Now they have increased prices a bit so they can spend more money on renewal of the infrastructure.
          Personally I think the same would have happened in government hands except they may have waited longer to renew the system and put up prices, with the obvious result of old equipment breaking down more.
          Regulatons here force companies here to keep system to a certain standard as there are penalties for excessive breakdowns of the systems, long blackouts etc. While in government ownership there were no such penalties and therefore no incentive to spend enough to maintain the system.
          Private ownership is possibly best option if backed by sufficient regulation and penalties for inadequate service.

Comment

Our glorious leadership cannot do wrong! we must privitize and lower taxes now, so that we will have tax revenue to cover our rapidly increasing costs! (note: costs didn't actually increase)

All hail Benjamin Nethaniyahu, the greatest economist alive (dude has an MBA. I am a year away from having the same)

:/
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

The best customer service I had was in Jacksonville, which has a municipal owned power company. The worst is the privately owned Florida Power and Light, which runs things down here. Commonwealth Edison, a privately run company in Chicago was somewhere between the two.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                VG, we've always had privately owned power companies out here. What caused the rolling blackouts was the deregulation of the utilities which companies like Enron abused by shutting down power plants in order to cause an artificial shortage of electricity so that prices spiked through the roof. The whole Republican mantra against regulations really is stupid because a lot of time regulations are there for a very good reason.
                It wasn't just deregulation. It was the removal of price controls.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Hooray!

The 2004 release of transcripts of taped conversations among Enron electricity traders in the summer of 2001 revealed that company insiders not only knew they were stealing from California and other states, but gloated about it. The release of thousands of hours of tapes was a powerful indictment of the energy companies that looted California and Washington of close to $11 billion.

At a time when streets in Northern California were lit only by head lights, factories shut down and families were trapped in elevators, Enron Energy traders laughed:

"Just cut 'em off. They're so f----d. They should just bring back f-----g horses and carriages, f-----g lamps, f-----g kerosene lamps."

Comment

We just had our rates massively raised. I'm all for privatisation, they can't run anything worse then the bozos in Victoria.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I think it's a bad idea. Whether one wants it or not there is no room for hundreds, not even dozens of suppliers in a moderate size country. Power generation and transport are both monopolies or oligopolies at best. I'm generally pro-market but I'm against privatizing monopolies.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis View Post
                        See California's rolling blackouts when they privatized their system.
                        Please try to keep privatization and deregulation straight. The US has had a primarily private system (for-profit and co-op) since the beginning.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          Please try to keep privatization and deregulation straight. The US has had a primarily private system (for-profit and co-op) since the beginning.
                          Right. It was deregulation that caused our problems. That, plus preditory practices by Enron, Duke Power and others.

You really need a lot of strong competition for it to work well.
                          It does not make sense to have competiting power grids. How many sets of power lines over your house do you want??

No competition means a monopoly, and the only thing that saves the public is public control, either by regulation or by government ownership of the monopoly.

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
                            All hail Benjamin Nethaniyahu, the greatest economist alive (dude has an MBA. I am a year away from having the same) :/
                            The latest Bush was an MBA as well. He fiddled while the world economy went up in flames. In the top ten lists economics professionals tend to keep, the issue is how many of which economic theory (school) to admit to the lists. In all that fussing, Nethaniyahu has never come up as the "greatest."
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                            X