Designer babies are here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm sure if I lived in medieval Times, I'd be the Hobbes sticking his grubby finger into the pie.
    I don't think you understand yourself or at least how you portray yourself.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      QCubed, I'm not trying to convince you. You are educated.
      Flattery gets you nowhere, while deceit and insulting my intelligence will get you even less. I am not, not by your or Agathon's earlier definition.

My point is that even if you use the same subjective criteria, you can get very different canonical literature. If, as you say the listings are merely subjective, then there's no way to value the current listing over mine.
      That wasn't your point at all. That was mine.

All I am calling for is more of a balance. I really don't see why that would be an issue at all. Happy stories, sad ones.
      That's not what you were calling for at all, earlier.
      Last edited by Q Classic; March 6, 2009, 06:26.
      B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        I don't think you understand yourself or at least how you portray yourself.
        I don't think he really understands Hobbes. Or if he does, he's confusing that one with Watterson's.
        B♭3

Comment

• Interesting thread drift from the topic of methods to address the decreasing level of intelligence of western populations.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I don't think he really understands Hobbes. Or if he does, he's confusing that one with Watterson's.
            1, Hobbes was very radical in the time that he wrote and was counter to the spirit of his age. He was a modernist well before the enlightenment.

I like him for several reasons. He rejects reason, has a low opinion of human nature, rejects progress, and also was anticlerical.

I like Hobbes very much, if I weren't a Christian I'd be a Hobbesian.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• That's like saying I'd be a lesbian if I liked girls and didn't have a dick.
              B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                I don't think he really understands Hobbes. Or if he does, he's confusing that one with Watterson's.
                He is NOTHING like the awesome dancing fellow in Tehban's avatar. Well, maybe in looks; I've never seen him. But in character I'd say he's closer to the philosopher than the tiger.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• That's like saying I'd be a lesbian if I liked girls and didn't have a dick.

I like Hobbes way more then say Voltaire.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                    If the only argument is "we don't actually have the tech to do it" [and therefore we'll mess up], then there's nothing inherently wrong with designer babies.
                    Oh, that pesky reality, always getting in the way like that...

Me, I'm opposed to the idea, but then I don't think even IVF should be legal without severe restrictions. I'm opposed to pretty much anything that makes children into a manufactured consumer product.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                    X