Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What separate ethnonyms/demonyms can you name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What separate ethnonyms/demonyms can you name?

English language doesn't distinguish between most ethnicities and nationalities if the ethnicity is the titular ethnicity. For example, a French person can be a citizen of France or he can be an ethnic Frenchman. A Spanish person can be a subject of the Spanish crown or he can be an ethnic Spaniard.
    However, a Briton is a subject of the British Crown, but not necessarily an Englishman. A Jew, on the other hand, is not necessarily an Israeli, he can actually be a Briton, like Disraeli. We also have the same distinction in Russian for Russians.
    However, I cannot think of any other cases in the English language where the main ethnic group of the country doesn't share a name with the nationality. German/German, Chinese/Chinese, etc. Can you? Examples in any other languages are also welcome.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

What?

Comment

actually the OP makes perfect sense to me, im not sure what problems you are having comprehending such a simplistic post IMO
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

nm

Comment

Perhaps there are no words for them because in some cases such seperate ethnicities don't exist?

Chinese/Han btw.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Well, Singapore is an interesting case. While citizens of the country consider themselves Singaporeans, no one regards "Singaporean" as an ethnicity. The closest thing to a native ethnicity (as opposed to Malay, Tamil, and Hokkien -- the dominant immigrant ethnicities) is "Peranakan."
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

All nationalities are constructions - back in 1500 I doubt a Saxon and a Prussian and a Hessian and a Bavarian would have all agreed that they were part of the same "nation," unless you meant Christendom, which would have then also included Burgundians and Swiss and Flemish and so forth.

And as for English, it remains the language of the English - there is still Scottish, Welsh, and Gaelic for other Britons to speak if they so choose to at home.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Jewish isn't so much an ethnicity as it is a religion. You can become a Jew but you can't become an ethnic Italian.

I guess Jews do have some ethnic aspects, because the Romans exiled the Israelis from their homeland, yet the Jews managed for 2,000 years to maintain their identities and didn't melt into the local populations, like, say, the Vandals and Visigoths did.

Comment

However, I cannot think of any other cases in the English language where the main ethnic group of the country doesn't share a name with the nationality.
                  Besides the principalities? I'd say Flemish in Belgium and Russian in Belorussia and Estonia. I don't know about Moldova.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Besides the principalities? I'd say Flemish in Belgium and Russian in Belorussia and Estonia. I don't know about Moldova.
                    It's good we don't have Estonian posters, BK, because you'd become a target of boiling RAGE.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X