Obamawa: Hope and Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obamawa: Hope and Change

Obama has swept into Ottawa leaving behind him a path of hope and change. The Ottawa Senators, eager for the visit, have stopped sucking and exported it far on the horizon to Montreal. The wave of optimism cannot be denied!

Trade and Oil on Agenda as Obama Visits Canada

OTTAWA — President Obama arrived here Thursday morning for the first foreign trip of his administration, a visit that is expected to focus on the fragile world economy, the sagging auto industry, international trade and energy — in particular the question of how to turn Alberta’s oil sands into a clean source of power.

Mr. Obama was greeted by the governor general of Canada, Michaëlle Jean, as well as the Canadian Ambassador to the United States, Michael Wilson, and a retinue of red-jacketed Canadian Mounties when Air Force One touched down in a light snow at Ottawa International Airport shortly before 10:30 a.m. He is here for a string of official meetings and plans to hold a short press conference with Prime Minister Stephen Harper this afternoon.

The United States is a major importer of Canadian oil, and Mr. Obama is under intense pressure from environmentalists to resist efforts by Mr. Harper to exempt the vast oil sands, which contain up to 173 billion barrels of recoverable oil bound into sand and clay, from regulation. Thursday’s visit is not expected to produce any detailed agreement, although White House officials have said Mr. Obama intends to talk about ways of increasing cooperation with Canada on issues of energy and climate change.

In an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation prior to his trip, Mr. Obama said stopped short of using the word dirty, as environmentalists do, to describe the process of extracting oil from the sands. But he said extraction work there “creates a big carbon footprint.”

Mr. Obama may also face tensions with Mr. Harper over the issue of trade; Canada is up in arms over a “Buy America” provision inserted by Congress into the $787 billion economic recovery package Mr. Obama just signed into law, and Canadians have not forgotten Mr. Obama’s campaign pledge to reopen negotiations on the North American Free Trade Agreement — a pledge he has since backed away from. Instead, White House officials say Mr. Obama will stress drafting new environmental and labor protection side-agreements to the pact, and will emphasize the $1.5 billion-a-day trading relationship between the United States and Canada, the largest trading relationship in the world.

Mr. Obama is hugely popular in Canada — one poll during the election found he is more popular here than in the United States—and the newspapers on Thursday were filled with stories about his visit. “They followed the campaign daily like we did,” said Jim Blanchard, a former ambassador to Canada under President Bill Clinton. “They were riveted to their televisions for a year and a half and very enamored with Obama, and they were very unhappy with George W. Bush, and so the fact that he is making his first foreign trip to Ottawa, and this early in his administration, is huge.”

By taking his first trip to Canada, Mr. Obama is following a sometime tradition for United States presidents. Ronald Reagan was one of those who made Canada his first official foreign visit.

Canadians have come to expect the first-visit honor ever since, though former President George W. Bush, a former governor of Texas, took his first trip to Mexico instead. (To avoid an international brouhaha, the Bush White House insisted the Mexico trip, to the ranch of former President Vicente Fox, was an unofficial visit, and that the first official presidential foreign trip was to Canada.)

The Obama White House is eager to avoid any similar slight, on matters stylistic or substantive. Denis McDonough, a deputy national security adviser to Mr. Obama, said before leaving Washington that the president was “very eager to make the trip.” Paul Cellucci, a former ambassador to Canada under Mr. Bush, said Mr. Obama would be wise to strike a friendly tone.

“As he deals with strong allies like Canada, I think he is going to have to listen to them,” Mr. Cellucci said. “You don’t want to go down the road of a trade war, if we’re getting all this energy from Canada and it’s a reliable source of energy. It’s not Venezuela, it’s not the Middle East. Why would we want to jeopardize that?”
    I anticipate the environmentalists will become disillusioned with Obama in short order.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Maybe he can become the prime minister of Canada as well, and be the first joint leader since King George III...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Some environmentalists and animal rights types would like the human population of the world to drop substantially to leave room for nature. This is not a basis for a successful political platform in North America. You know, "Elect me, so I can drive you from your homes, stop you from having children, and assist you in dying." Obama can't make that crowd happy. This type of campaign only seems to work in China, where the ballots for the "election" are filled out in advance.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I was hoping this was about Obamawon Kenobi.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"These are not the stimulus dollars you are looking for."
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Change is what gives us power. Change is created by all living things. Change surrounds us and penetrates us. Change binds the galaxy together.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              Maybe he can become the prime minister of Canada as well, and be the first joint leader since King George III...
              George III was the King, but he was never our leader. We were self-ruling colonies.

When Pariliment and the King thought they'd take over, we kicked their butts back to Britain.

Comment

Someone is on the road to denial.

We only spent 100 years under the thumb of the British, while you folks spent far, far longer.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

BTW: The name of this thread should have been: "O Bamada"

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Someone is on the road to denial.

We only spent 100 years under the thumb of the British, while you folks spent far, far longer.
                    Whatever, dude, we didn't have British soldiers pushing us around after Yorktown. You still had redcoats running all over Canuckistan.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Who is "we," BK? Canucks had spent the same amount of time as USers under British rule when we (the USers) sent the redcoats home. Although they tried to come back for a brief encore during the Napoleonic wars, we were free. For the Canucks that rule went on and on. So were you the San Antonio BK in that post? Or did you present the whole concept upside down?
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                      X