No announcement yet.

Banker bonuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that a lot of people in Washington remember the S&L crisis. Everybody involved in the cleanup that I have talked to was disgusted with the process (even though they made out well in the whole deal).
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I still don't see why shareholders should be ****ed over by nationalisation. If I've invested my money in a bank, why shouldn't I be compensated for my share? How am I responsible for the garbage that the CEO indulges himself in?

If the CEO and the board have shares, get rid of those.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        I still don't see why shareholders should be ****ed over by nationalisation. If I've invested my money in a bank, why shouldn't I be compensated for my share? How am I responsible for the garbage that the CEO indulges himself in?
        Because you invested your money with them, dumb ****.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

How am I responsible for the garbage that the CEO indulges himself in?
          Do you have the first clue how corporations work? As a shareholder you're supposed to exert control over the CEO's by way of electing directors. Regardless of whether you were A) an apathetic shareholder or B) an active shareholder on the wrong side of an issue, in either case you're "responsible" for the loss of your investment. This **** has been going on for years so you can't pretend there was never an opportunity to raise a proxy fight on lending standards at annual board elections; in reality you just didn't care so long as hefty dividends came in. Even if you're C) an active shareholder on the right side of an issue but your side nonetheless lost, you still had the alternative of selling your share on the open market afterward, so if you declined to, then you consciously assumed the risk that the policy you unsuccessfully opposed might make your share worthless, and so must accept the consequences.

If you want to just put in money and expect returns back with no responsibilities on your part, then buy bonds instead. AFAIK the fixed return on pre-existing bonds wouldn't even be affected by Swede-style nationalization.
          Last edited by Darius871; February 18, 2009, 13:14.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Frankly, I don't think corporations should limit liability only to the amount invested by the shareholder. Rather, investors should share in the liability to the extent of their investment. Right now, you can only lose the amount you invested. Investors should be fair game as well.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Do you have the first clue how corporations work? As a shareholder you're supposed to exert control over the CEO's by way of electing directors.
              There are voting and non-voting shares. Non-voting shares have no control whatsoever.

Regardless of whether you were A) an apathetic shareholder or B) an active shareholder on the wrong side of an issue, in either case you're "responsible" for the loss of your investment.
              Not if the government takes over the business. I completely understand the problem with risk. If the business goes bankrupt then I lose the value of the share. If the government wants to take over the business, then they have to compensate me for the value of my property. They just can't take it.

Even if you're C) an active shareholder on the right side of an issue but your side nonetheless lost, you still had the alternative of selling your share afterward, so if you declined to, then you assumed the risk that the policy you unsuccessfully opposed might make your share worthless.
              So what you are saying is anyone who owns shares in any bank that has TARP funds should immediately sell to avoid the risk of nationalisation? Oh, that's really helpful. I'm sure that's what the government wants, to have struggling banks go completely broke.

If you want to just put in money and expect returns back with no responsibilities on your part, then buy bonds instead. AFAIK the fixed return on pre-existing bonds wouldn't even be affected by Swede-style nationalization.
              The shareholders ought to be compensated, or at least have the choice of selling before the government takes over.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Frankly, I don't think corporations should limit liability only to the amount invested by the shareholder. Rather, investors should share in the liability to the extent of their investment. Right now, you can only lose the amount you invested. Investors should be fair game as well.
                What's next, seizing the assets of everyone who owned stock in the company?

Glad to see this is all about screwing the common man.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                  Under some select circumstances, shareholders are on the hook. However, we couldn't get any business done with widespread liability like this.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

However, we couldn't get any business done with widespread liability like this.
                    Exactly. Somehow I don't think the folks calling for seizing assets from investors have any interest in keeping businesses running.

Comment

What's next, seizing the assets of everyone who owned stock in the company?

Glad to see this is all about screwing the common man.
                      Right, cuz the common man owns so much stock? moron.

If I was part owner in a company and the company hurt someone, I'd be liable, up to everything I owned. Why should owning stock be different?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                        Under some select circumstances, shareholders are on the hook. However, we couldn't get any business done with widespread liability like this.
                        Why couldn't you get things done? Corporations would just have to be a lot more careful and ethical. The whole point of the joint stock corporation is to shield investors from the liabilities their investments cause. That's ****ed up.

Comment

[moved since ignored]
                          Last edited by Darius871; February 18, 2009, 13:50.
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                            When does that happen?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If the CEO and the board have shares, get rid of those.
                              You made the wrong bet. Dude, that's how it works!

Hey, I've lost a decent chunk of change on Citi. Nothing backbreaking, but enough to be kinda annoyed. But hey, thems the breaks. Investing is not a risk-less endeavor.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Right, cuz the common man owns so much stock? moron.
                                Shareholders are all these richie rich types? I'm talking Mutual funds, etc. Most people probably aren't aware of exactly what stocks they are invested in let alone having the time to go in and sit in on the meetings, and fly to wherever they are being held.

There's a big difference between common stock and voting stock.

If I was part owner in a company and the company hurt someone, I'd be liable, up to everything I owned. Why should owning stock be different?
                                Because you don't get to make the decisions as to how the company operates. I don't think you can be liable for an investment decision that may have been made 20 years ago under different leadership. The only ones who should be responsible is the board and the ceo, for the decisions that they made.

Comment

Working...
                                X