Techies, will this idea work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techies, will this idea work?

A friend of mine was cleaning out the basement when he came across an ancient DOS laptop. Somewhere I have some great old DOS-games stored.

I figure the laptop battery is long dead and cannot be replaced. --But could I run the laptop with the dead battery as long as its plugged into a wall...assuming I can find my old games?

I'd love to once again play Privateer, the original Pirates, Sentinel Worlds I, etc.

I'm no techie, but I don't know why not. I've run my laptop on outlet power with the battery removed before. But why not just put a DOS emulator on your newer machine? I did that to once again play Pirates of the Barbary Coast, and realized that no matter how fondly I remembered it, the gameplay sucked compared to modern games.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
      I'm no techie, but I don't know why not. I've run my laptop on outlet power with the battery removed before. But why not just put a DOS emulator on your newer machine? I did that to once again play Pirates of the Barbary Coast, and realized that no matter how fondly I remembered it, the gameplay sucked compared to modern games.
      What are a DOS emulator, and where do I get it?

Comment

Sometimes requires a bit of tweaking the settings to make work (particularly with sound), sometimes just works 'out of the box'. There are options to slow down the CPU etc. if you need to make a game run slower.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You should have no problems running the laptop without the battery. I had my old battery die on me, and rather then replace it (as the laptop was like 3 years old), I just kept the laptop plugged in.

The thing you will have to get used to with dosbox is mounting your games, just like in the old days where you had to type in file extensions

The only other bad thing is that there is no full screen mode. You can hit alt-enter which makes it somewhat better, but you'll get a small screen.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

There's absolutely full-screen mode. It's just 640x480 or smaller (depending on the phone) which is ... interesting ... nowadays.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Ahh, now I'm remembering all those great game experiences.

There was a Napoleanic games called, I believe, Fields of Glory. At one point, I order one of my corps commanders to charge the enemy's right flank. He did. I should have been more explicit and told him to bring his troops along with him.

Comment

That's a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                    Ahh, now I'm remembering all those great game experiences.

There was a Napoleanic games called, I believe, Fields of Glory. At one point, I order one of my corps commanders to charge the enemy's right flank. He did. I should have been more explicit and told him to bring his troops along with him.
                    I remember that game. No matter which side I played the Battle of Waterloo always ended before the Prussians arrived.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                    X