Senator Ted Kennedy collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
    i am not rah's sock puppet he does not have his hand up my arse check your facts please thanks
    We have a winner.

Boris,
    I see it as hypocrisy also.
    So with Teddy, he called someone out for something that he was guilty of. The man should understand guilt quite thoroughly based on all the crap he has done.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• i am not rah's sock puppet he does not have his hand up my arse check your facts please thanks

I just thought those words would be funnier in your voice then his.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I tried posting them in ALL CAPS but the forum appears to have a neat little script in it that converts them all into lowercase.

Clever forum!
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
          I tried posting them in ALL CAPS but the forum appears to have a neat little script in it that converts them all into lowercase.

Clever forum!
          Good Alinestra Covelia
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
            Boris,
            I see it as hypocrisy also.
            So with Teddy, he called someone out for something that he was guilty of. The man should understand guilt quite thoroughly based on all the crap he has done.
            I'd say Alito's situation was a bit different, since he was a member of an alumni organization that had the goal of prohibiting women from attending Princeton University. That's not nearly the same as a totally private leisure club with a men-only rule, in my opinion.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Princeton University is a private school, though, isn't it?
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                Princeton University is a private school, though, isn't it?
                It receives a good deal of government grants and funding (i.e. research projects, etc.).

Beyond that, I think there's a big difference between an educational institution and a leisure club.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• And, I think that a leisure club has a lot more far-reaching power than you do, clearly. I'd surmise membership in the Owl club correlates better with wealth than a degree from Princeton...

The funding argument is kosher if we are discussing legalities; it is irrelevant if we are discussing morality. The government may choose to use whatever criteria it wishes to determine funding; Princeton is a private institution, and therefore is equivalent to the Owl club in that sense.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• To be clear, I don't think it's immoral to have same-sex only private schools, either. There certainly are plenty of boarding schools in that regard. It just depends on whether or not they accept public funding of some kind. But it's not about Princeton, as they went coed--it's about Concerned Alumni for Princeton.

I believe there's a degree of difference between a political activism group that is trying to prevent women from entering a university campus vs. a fraternal organization. I think another facet of the complaints regarding Alito was that his group had issued publications that were decidedly racist and sexist in tone (Bill Bradley quit the group over this). It was a group established with the sole purpose of exclusion, and Alito certainly had to know this.

Kennedy's membership in Owl (which he did resign) began at a time when Harvard was all-male, so it's absurd to believe he joined as a means of discriminating against women. The raison d'etre of the club isn't first and foremost to not have women, either. Also, a bill Kennedy strongly supported in Congress was responsible for Harvard shoving the Final Clubs into the totally-private realm.

So it really comes down to a level of intent. Alito joined Concerned Alumni for Princeton in order to participate in a means of excluding women and minorities from a university. Kennedy joined the Owl Club to have a good time with friends, make some connections, etc. That's a big difference, IMO, and doesn't really justify the charges of hypocrisy. It's certainly hypocrisy on a very small scale if so.
                    Last edited by Boris Godunov; January 23, 2009, 22:27.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Next they'll be arguing for women in the He-Man Woman Haters Club.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                      X