Colleges are run by *********

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
    The particular class I wanted the book for is intro to psych. I don't need to belittle the teacher any, he does it so well himself. He has a PhD in Psychology and has never practiced or done studies, he got his PhD and went straight to teaching. Which is fine I suppose, but he still calls himself a psychologist.

1) Psychologist != psychiatrist; he shouldn't have ever had a patient on his couch

2) He has done some amount of original research, by virtue of the fact that he got a PhD.

1) Psychiatrist = Psychologist with a prescription pad.

2) Driving a car once or twice does not make you a CIA wheelman. Experience goes a long way to refining knowledge.

3) I still respect that he has a PhD and that that is a difficult thing to achieve. I just think he needs to stop calling himself a psychologist when he isn't. Or at the very least drop it at saying "I am a psychologist..." and not go on to say "...even though I've never practiced or done studies!"

Comment

You're an idiot.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
        1) Psychiatrist = Psychologist with a prescription pad.
        No. You're an idiot. Psychiatrists go to med school, psychologists go get a PhD.

2) Driving a car once or twice does not make you a CIA wheelman. Experience goes a long way to refining knowledge.
        Personal experience with research doesn't typically make you a better instructor. Also, given who little you know about this in the first place I bet he does continually do research and publish and publish.

3) I still respect that he has a PhD and that that is a difficult thing to achieve. I just think he needs to stop calling himself a psychologist when he isn't.
        Except that HE IS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          I used to meet with the profs and make course materials packages.

They were just as frusterated with bookstores either not ordering the books, ordering them in insufficient numbers and charging exorbitant prices.

Having a tailor made course material package meant less reading, the prof could have readings that they wanted, and the students saved a considerable amount. What would cost 150+ dollars, I could do for 30.

Made good money doing that at university. Most of the work was in making a master copy, but once that was done, it was easy to take orders and copy all the rest at about 5 bucks or so.
          The problem is, from the bookstore's point of view, they are actually charging very little compared to the cost of the textbook. A normal book, say, The Davinci Code, a bookstore gets ~45% to ~55% discount on over retail, so if it is $15.00 retail the bookstore pays $7-$8 for it, and makes the rest in profit. You'd think college textbooks were a higher profit, as they're more expensive, right?

WRONG. College textbooks are ~5% profit for the bookstore, generally, unless they mark it up further than the retail price- and most don't. The printing houses and the professors who write them set the prices, and they set them at blatantly ridiculous levels. I remember an IR book I had to read, one of the classics, but about 70 pages (and small paperback, not a hardcover) - and it cost $70. $1 per page.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

No. You're an idiot. Psychiatrists go to med school, psychologists go get a PhD.

Yes, but I was overgeneralizing just like you.

A practicing Psychologist is often called a therapist or counselor. They conduct sessions to help people realize problems they may have behaviorally as well as mentally. They then use discussion and training to help those same people overcome their problems, whether it be a phobia or an eating disorder.

A practicing Psychiatrist is often called a doctor or a shrink. They conduct sessions to help people realize problems they may have behaviorally as well as mentally. They then use discussion, training, and medication to help those same people overcome their problems, whether it be a phobia or an eating disorder.

Personal experience with research doesn't typically make you a better instructor. Also, given who little you know about this in the first place I bet he does continually do research and publish and publish.

Experience does make you a better instructor. Also, he outright said he does not do research, he teaches.

Except that HE IS.

Of course he is. Except he doesn't do the whole "-ist" part, you know that part where he does psychology.

You're an idiot

I'm really quite baffled that you all seem to forget this from time to time.

Comment

You can call a researcher a psychologist as well, even if he is not a practicing applied psychologist.

If he were simply teaching and did no research, then I'd not call him a psychologist, however. I don't know in this case, though typically college professors do both teaching and research.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The problem is, from the bookstore's point of view, they are actually charging very little compared to the cost of the textbook. A normal book, say, The Davinci Code, a bookstore gets ~45% to ~55% discount on over retail, so if it is $15.00 retail the bookstore pays $7-$8 for it, and makes the rest in profit. You'd think college textbooks were a higher profit, as they're more expensive, right?

WRONG. College textbooks are ~5% profit for the bookstore, generally, unless they mark it up further than the retail price- and most don't. The printing houses and the professors who write them set the prices, and they set them at blatantly ridiculous levels. I remember an IR book I had to read, one of the classics, but about 70 pages (and small paperback, not a hardcover) - and it cost $70. $1 per page.
                The bookstore had a monopoly on all campus sales. They had deals with the registrar that they would ship you all your books ahead of time for added fees to your tuition at the start of each semester. Usually around 1000 dollars regardless of the actual book costs.

The book store routinely understocked (believing quite correctly that not all students would purchase). Many times they would just not have the book, meaning that students had to hunt around elsewhere. They just didn't care, because the university would not permit any competition to open on campus.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                  Where I study, they send required readings and enrollment information to the closest library.
                  Our campus library has all the class textbooks and material on reserve.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post

Quote:
                    Experience does make you a better instructor.
                    Can you read? Experience with research does not make you a better instructor. Experience with teaching does.

Quote:
                    Except that HE IS.
                    Of course he is. Except he doesn't do the whole "-ist" part, you know that part where he does psychology.
                    What the hell is "doing psychology"? He's completed a graduate program of study in the subject, done some amount of original research, and now teaches the subject at a university.

Comment

Working...
                    X