Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about Montessori?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about Montessori?

I'm looking for a school for my kid. Unfortunately at this time of year not much is available.

There is a Montessori school nearby, but after reading their jargon (highly biased) and the Wiki entry on her (flagged for possible bias) I'm wondering if it's a good idea.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Both of my kids went to a Montessori school early in their lives. And both have done very well in other schools after they left. The problem is, the level of education can vary dramitically from school to school (as is the case for all schools), so I would recommend talking to some of the other parents.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Dude, we already did this thread.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I went to a Montessori kindergarten, and look how I turned out!

Comment

There is the proof. Theben, abort, abort...
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Both my Children attend a Montessori School and I am very pleased with their progress.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

It is a step in the right direction.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Because the teaching method is fairly new on a widespread basis to the US, you can expect variation in adherence to the method. I would ask around your neighborhood for this school. Some schools may take advantage of the fad and charge a lot of money, so be critical.

I was taught by my mom early on using much of the method and think it is solid, if unconventional. Because it is unconventional, you may have to learn some of the vocabulary/jargon. But watch out for people using jargon in order to snow you under.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

*shrug*
                  I was going to a Montessori school during the first year and a half of my school education. Seemed about the same to me, except the were some useless lessons.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Montessori sounds like a name of a mafioso. Don't trust him
                    Blah

Comment

Considering how badly normal schools suck, if they aren't far far better then there isn't really anything special to them (for the general populace).

This is my current opinion, if I see statistics or reasons otherwise I can change it.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Dude, we already did this thread.
                        I guess I missed it the 1st time around.

I'm a little leery since everything I've read has a rosy-colored POV, but enough of you guys seem to have a positive view that I'll take a look. Apparently there's a internationally certified one on the north side.
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Montessori just stole her material from Rousseau.

If you like Rousseau, then go for it.

If you think Rousseau was some spaced out wackjob, then avoid at all costs.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I went to Montessori school from pre-school to 2nd Grade, for what it's worth. I look back on those years and think I was fairly lucky, so.
                            B♭3

Comment

Ben just dissed it, so I'm onboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X