Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I really, really hate smokers
Collapse
X
-
No, the NY ban is on all bars, restaurants and most places of business. I think the CA ban is even more strict?
-
Here's some data I found:
"The following are some examples: the Dallas Restaurant Association funded a study that showed a $11.8 million decline in alcohol sales ranging from 9 to 50% in Denton, Texas. A 2004 study by Ridgewood Economic Associates LTD funded by the Empire State Restaurant and Tavern Association found a loss of 2000 jobs, $28.5 million dollar loss in wages, and a loss of $37 million in New York State product.[65] A 2004 study for the National Restaurant Association of the United States conducted by Deloitte and Touche found a significant negative impact. The restaurant Association of Maryland found sales tax receipts for establishments falling 11% in their study. Carroll and Associates found bars sales decreased from 18.7 to 24.3% in the Ottawa, Canada area following a bar smoking ban. [66] The Buckeye Liquor Permit Holders Association reported that liquor sales were down over $67 million dollars while sales for home consumption increased and asked for the bar smoking ban to be amended in Ohio.[67]"
Leave a comment:
-
In the NY and California they usually only cover resturants and I'll concede that one in general. That's a big difference. I'm talking other businesses.
Leave a comment:
-
It's the same way up here in Prince George. It just doesn't make sense. It gets down to -40 here in the winter. Businesses should be allowed to cater to smokers too, and not force them to smoke outside.
Leave a comment:
-
Both in NY and California did not have any proven financial hardship due to their bans, as far as I know. If the Illinois situation is true, it's the exception rather than the rule.
Leave a comment:
-
Last year when the law went into effect the sports bar business dropped off so bad that they made an exception for sports bar and reinstated smoking until the superbowl was over. The casinos in Illinois have suffered greatly since the law changed and it has cost the state millions of dollars in lost revenue and they're trying to figure out some type of loophole to save themselves. So for all those non smokers that said it would not only not have a negative impact but a positive one, were of course proved to be full of **** (in Illinois at least. There's no accounting for all the weirdos in California
).
Not in Illinois. The Jury is still out on Resturant data since it varies from area to area but I'll admit that it has improved in SOME places, but it's not universal.
Activities that go along with smoking, like drinking, gambling, and bowling have been hurt quite hard. Attendence in sports bars, casinos and bowling alleys is off. And there is no doubt that it's attributed to the new smoking laws here.
Leave a comment:
-
Good luck with it Rah.Almost 9 months for me now. I still want one every day, and smoke in my dreams almost every night.
Leave a comment:
-
Not if it's in your home.Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View PostIf I don't want to be there, I can just go somewhere else.
Leave a comment:
-
Exactly. I'm a non-smoker. If someone wants to light up go right ahead. I really don't get all the fuss about second hand smoke. If I don't want to be there, I can just go somewhere else.But non-smokers have no desire to compromise, they want to force their morals on everyone. There's where I take exception to all of this.
Leave a comment:
-
The Oregon smoking ban went into effect Jan. 1. W00t! Just in time to watch the NFL playoff games and Super Bowl in my favorite bar. Naturally, my smoker friends are now balking at going to a bar and want to do it at their home so they can light up.
Leave a comment:
-
When I was younger before I owned my own house and lived in an apartment, we had new neighbors move in that were Indian. They all left there shoes outside their front door and the hallway stank of shoe odor. Within a month the entire building smelled of curry. We complained to the management and they said they coudlnt' do anything since shoes and curry were legal. We moved into a single family dwelling
Where since we had a young daughter, I was forced to smoke in the garage.
I was exercising my manly rights
Leave a comment:
-
I Have to admit that you have a valid complaint for your landlord, but not your neighbors. Smokers can only smoke in so many places now. At work we had a smoking room hidden away with it's own exhaust system that worked so well, that 99% of the non smokers didn't even know it existed. The other 1% had smoking friends that told them about it. THERE WERE NEVER ANY COMPLAINTS.
Ok then the law closed it down and they were all forced outside the building and the smokers complied. Then the law changed and they were forced to move at least 15 feet from the entrance. Which they did. Now some of the tenants complain because they have to walk by them on there way into the building. Come on, it's getting absurd. If you're farther than 15 feet from the entrance you're almost 15 feet from another entrance so you can't make the law much more than 15 feet. They even tried to outlaw smoking in cars.
So before law, no complaints, after law, everyone complains. Too broad sweeping of a law. Stupid Law.
IF there's a room with it's own exhaust and no non-smoker every smells a thing, what's the problem. But non-smokers have no desire to compromise, they want to force their morals on everyone. There's where I take exception to all of this.
Smokers have gone along with all of this (probably out of guilt) and still get abused. How much is too much. So if their smoking in their apartment disturbs you (unless there is clause in the lease prohibiting it) bring it up to the landlord. And if he doesn't fix it, move. If you don't do these things, I don't think you have the right to complain about. (unless you're just whining because it's your nature) I do have some sympathy for you since it has changed recently but hey, that's life.
God, I want a smoke but I am strong. If I keep saying that, I will believe
Leave a comment:
-
I'm trying to dictate the rules in my own domicile. It's currently being invaded by smokers.Originally posted by Deity Dude View PostI think it is funny how non-smokers feel they have a right to dictate the rules in the common areas but now also think they have a right to dictate the rules in a person's own domicile.
And I'm a non-smoker.
Leave a comment:
-
I think it is funny how non-smokers feel they have a right to dictate the rules in the common areas but now also think they have a right to dictate the rules in a person's own domicile.
And I'm a non-smoker.
Leave a comment:
-
Then you should probably spend your time posting useless rants on Internet forums.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: