Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think happens to the Russian economy now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think happens to the Russian economy now?

Global economic downturn + the 5-year long oil price bubble bursted. Will Russia continue to be a minor power or does it degenerate into the sort of third world country it used to be in the 90s?

To put it another way, is Russian economy still dependant upon natural resources?

is Russian economy still dependant upon natural resources
    Yes. Big test for Putin. It won't be as bad as it was in the 90s, but the, let's say, power it wielded right after the Georgia issue isn't going to continue.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Time to carve them apart a little more.

Comment

Great time for an arms race

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Third world? Was Russia in really that bad a shape in the 90s?

Comment

Right now we are using our currency reserves to slow our descent, so it all depends on whether we run out of them before the recession ends.
            Well, we've been through worse, e.g. in 1998, so I'm not too pessimistic.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Hopefully not too bad. I can't see anyone benefiting from the decline too much.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It will all depend on where the price of oil lands. $20? $60? If at $60, then Russia will be fine. If at $20, then Russia is well and truly fvcked.

It's no coincidence that Russia had its worst time during the late 90s, when oil was almost free.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Russia is totally dependent on natural resources. They're a third world petro state pretending its not.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They got nukes. And a gazillion of 60s era tanks.
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

They'll invade Finland and double the size of their economy.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        They'll invade Finland and double the size of their economy.
                        if they attacked, Finland would win, annex Russia, and double the size of their economy.

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                        Third world? Was Russia in really that bad a shape in the 90s?
                        yes, but I don't think it will fall as low now.
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                        X