X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War on topless

no pics

Australians angry over bid to ban topless sunbathing

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Sun-loving Australians reacted angrily on Tuesday to a mid-summer bid by a conservative Christian lawmaker to ban topless sunbathing on beaches in the country's most populous state.

Christian lawmaker and veteran morals campaigner Reverend Fred Nile won backing from key politicians in New South Wales state, counting Sydney and its famed ocean beaches, to tighten existing laws covering nude sunbathing.

"The law should be clear. It must say exposure of women's breasts on beaches will be prohibited," Nile said.

Centre-left state government lawmaker Paul Gibson told the Daily Telegraph newspaper that families at the beach during the summer holidays did not want topless women.

But scores of callers to radio talkback stations complained about the plan and Leanne Peters from the ACT Nudist Club in the capital Canberra said Australia would look like a "haven for prudes" in the unlikely event that laws passed parliament.

Australians love their suntans and topless sunbathing has been common on most beaches since the 1960s. Nude beaches are also legal in every state except tropical Queensland.

But the country also suffers the world's highest rate of melanoma skin cancer. A new and graphic government advertising campaign warns there is no such thing as safe tanning, building on decades of similar official warnings.

NSW Assistant Health Minister Jodi McKay said banning topless sunbathing was a step too far for most lawmakers. "We don't want to go down the slippery slope of banning activities like this. What would be next, banning breastfeeding?" she said..

(Reporting by Rob Taylor; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Thank goodness it's the Ozzies and not the Greeks.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Are beaches in Greece topless as a general rule?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

such a law wouldnt even be suggested in greece, you can be sure of that

Comment

there are crazy fanatics even in Australia
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            Are beaches in Greece topless as a general rule?
            there is no such thing as "topless" and "non-topless" beaches if that what's you're saying. it is not really something common for greek women to do it. beyond that of course foreign women are treated as guests and are free/welcome to do as they please

Comment

In other words, the Brits are the ones going topless on Greek beaches?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

In other words, the Brits are the ones going topless on Greek beaches?
                germans, dutch, swedes, etc...
                brits just get drunk

Comment

This thread needs pictures so we can be better informed.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    This thread needs pictures so we can be better informed.
                    NO!

Comment

I'm sure you support the ban, Markos
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The ban in Greece should only include some nationalities. The Brits and Germans are banned from going topless (except in special situations heavily examined). The Swedes and French should be free to do as they please.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
                          I'm sure you support the ban, Markos
                          not really. i just dont want my thread turned into a babe one

Comment

But you were against babe threads in general, that's something I'll never be able to forgive
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The ban in Greece should only include some nationalities.
                              greece is a country of freedom, there would never be such a ban

Comment

Working...
                              X