Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you knew within the first week of pregnancy that your baby would have....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you knew within the first week of pregnancy that your baby would have....

.....an autoimmune disease or a gene that predisposed them to a certain cancer would you terminate the pregnancy?

Why, why not?

I don't think I would be able to do it (as if it were even my choice ). I don't believe that anyone has the right to decide whether or not someone else should die, 1 cell on it's way to being a crack dealer/child molester is still a human to me and still deserves it's chance at life.

Eh. Wait until the kid's old enough to make an informed decision, then give him a gun and tell him he can end it all if he so chooses. I'm pro-choice in that respect.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Depends on the severity. If the kid is predisposed to have breast cancer or prostate cancer then I wouldn't terminate, because many people have it, and it's perfectly treatable if the body is well monitored over the years.

If it's some terrible autoimmune disease that screws up the few years the kid will have left on this world, then it's terminator time.

It's usually not as clear-cut as I described here just now, but most cases will be pretty clear I believe.

Other than that, I simply wouldn't have kids. There's plenty of them crawling towards that inevitable death on this planet anyway. Don't need more $-leeches.
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

No. Knowing it would make it a little easier to fight.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I wouldn't... but I would never take away another woman's right to decide what she would do.

Freedom's a ***** right?
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I wouldn't. It would be my kid, whatever the disease. But it would of course ultimately be a decision my girl would take, although I'd hope we'd some common ground on the matter to begin with.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

never.

Comment

If he or she would become one of those bald kids in face masks, then yes.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Hell, it's hard to tell a woman's even pregnant in the first week of pregnancy. I am in favor of leaving this up to the potential mother since any law against abortion would be almost impossible to enforce. My choice would be to support her choice if she even bothered to ask. My wife's well past that point, hence my comment about being asked.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

No, I wouldn't.

If a child dies due to illness or disability that is one thing. Quite another to kill the child because she may be ill or disabled some time in the future.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

No way.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Probably not.

I would have to be sure that the baby's life wouldn't be worth living. Although both autoimmune diseases and a predisposition towards cancer are serious, without more, I couldn't say that the baby's life wouldn't be worth living. Any err has to be on the side of life.

At least with a living adult, that person can tell you that they want to die. Euthenasia, if legalized, would be a much easier choice.

Comment

No.
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

depends on the severity.

if a child could not lead a normal life, and would mostly suffer, it may be better unborn.

if it's a condition but could allow normalcy and quality of life for a long enough period, then i wouldn't terminate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X