Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Liking To Talk On The Telephone. A Sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cell is important because it allows me to talk anywhere. I can talk an hour or two with the right person but usually my calls are short and to the point. I hate texting. I do it because others I know love it but after the second or third text, I'll call. My ex has many conversations at once by texting and I hate it. There are people she knows only through text with no verbal communication at all. To me that is disturbing.

I wonder how many people here still have a land line? I haven't for years now.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Hate phones, use it only when necessary.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I like having a cell phone always with me but I don't like talking on the phone. I feel a lot safer with my phone because as a teenager (long before the days of teenagers having cell phones) I was always worried that my car would break down in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't have any way to call my dad. Now I feel like no matter where I am I will be able to call someone if I need to.

However, I do have a phone phobia of sorts when dealing with people who are not family. I would much rather send an email than talk on the phone any day. Needless to say, being able to make phone calls is an important job skill and I can do it if I have to. But I don't prefer it.
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Nothing worse than having a meeting with someone who constantly allows interruptions from the phone. I can sometimes understand it with sales people, but generally I find it incredibly rude.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            Now, with others, I have not had phone sex yet. Has anyone done that?
            yeah. it's alright. i'm not really a fan of it though. i'd much rather get off myself or do it in person.

Comment

I dont mind talking on the phone if it's a friend but I will go miles out of my way (literally) to avoid it, if otherwise.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I dislike phones. My calls are very short and to the point.
                Talking is for in-person.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  I generally dislike talking on the phone as well. I'd much rather talk in person, or via email... on the phone I think has none of the advantages of talking in person (no ability to read facial expressions and such) and all the disadvantages (no delete key).
                  My thoughts exactly.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    I generally dislike talking on the phone as well. I'd much rather talk in person, or via email... on the phone I think has none of the advantages of talking in person (no ability to read facial expressions and such) and all the disadvantages (no delete key).
                    That about says it. My wife loves talking on the phone which sometimes presents a quandary. I struggle through it, but I don't like it. A quick request for directions is okay or if you need an immediate hand, but long talks (excess of 10 minutes) try my patience.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The phone is essential for business for teleconferences and for the times when at least 3 exchanges of emails have occurred and there's still confusion/misunderstandings. Calling is the most direct way to address that.

But phone is a last resort thing.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I try to avoid any calls that don't begin with: "Where the **** are you?!"
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I like having one, as it makes my job easier, but I hate talking on the phone.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm a hater too. It's mainly because I can't verbally express myself very well on the phone. I have problems structuring ideas, sentences, in short: telling stories or exaplaining something. It only gets worse on the phone so I will frantically avoid initiating a phone call if it's work-related.

I mind it less when others call me instead.
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                              My cell is important because it allows me to talk anywhere. I can talk an hour or two with the right person but usually my calls are short and to the point. I hate texting. I do it because others I know love it but after the second or third text, I'll call. My ex has many conversations at once by texting and I hate it. There are people she knows only through text with no verbal communication at all. To me that is disturbing.

That's just bat**** crazy. Actually making conversation using text messages is a waste of time. Better to just make the phone call and be done with it. It's cool if you just need to ask a small question or if you don't need the answer right away.
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

hate... I get irritable pretty fast.
                                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                                X