Christmas present help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas present help

I need help finding a christmas present for my 13 year old daughter. She's good at math, likes to build stuff, and is unlikely to head toward medicine. So my wife and I would like to encourage her thinking toward a technical, creative profession such as engineer or architect etc. OTOH, she also likes to do computer graphics and animations etc which kinda fits her skillset.

Any thoughts about a suitable christmas present ?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

I like video games/computer stuff and books, the same as now. Possibly get her a popular book about science/mathematics/etc?

Or a graphical program?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I was thinking some kinda painting/animation program but there are many out there.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Hmm, there was some cheap one a friend of mine had. I will see if I can remember it.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There's 3d Studio Max if you don't mind spending big bucks
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I know!! Why don't you get her something that she would like? Like perhaps a gift geared towards a teenage girl? This may be way out of the ballpark, but having been a teenage girl myself, I appreciated my parents not trying to influence my career decisions, especially at the young age of 13.

On the other hand, if she has asked you for some graphic design software or (heaven forbid) a math book, then go right ahead. Otherwise you stand as getting labeled worst father on the block. And believe me, if she doesn't like it, the entire block will know by the end of the day.

I think it's great to get her some things that will introduce her to new interests she might enjoy, but don't forget to also get her some things that the typical girl would enjoy.

Age appropriate gifts include:
              - A sweatshirt with the right brand name
              - Jewelry, especially from Claire's or Icing
              - Cute accessories (ie. scarf, mittens, hat, purse)
              - A new pair of shoes (that are not ugly)
              - Sudoku (you say she likes math)
              - And maybe some craft kits that let her get out the creative, building side (and perhaps will sway her towards engineering without looking like you are pushing her into it)

Good Luck! It only gets worse from here.

Oh, and I really like the idea of painting/animation software. It sounds like a lot of fun

Edit: I don't mean to sound negative, I just think that it is the beginning of a difficult age, and so many parents push their children into paths that the kids hate. Just make sure you are thinking of her and what she wants, not what you would like her to become. Again, good luck!
              Last edited by Cartimandua; December 17, 2008, 01:12.
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Consider yourself told.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Cartimandua says it better then I could.

Get her something fun.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

An ant farm.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Get her a baby poo-poo doll.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Listen to Cartimandua
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                            I know!! Why don't you get her something that she would like? Like perhaps a gift geared towards a teenage girl? This may be way out of the ballpark, but having been a teenage girl myself, I appreciated my parents not trying to influence my career decisions, especially at the young age of 13.

On the other hand, if she has asked you for some graphic design software or (heaven forbid) a math book, then go right ahead. Otherwise you stand as getting labeled worst father on the block. And believe me, if she doesn't like it, the entire block will know by the end of the day.

I think it's great to get her some things that will introduce her to new interests she might enjoy, but don't forget to also get her some things that the typical girl would enjoy.

Age appropriate gifts include:
                            - A sweatshirt with the right brand name
                            - Jewelry, especially from Claire's or Icing
                            - Cute accessories (ie. scarf, mittens, hat, purse)
                            - A new pair of shoes (that are not ugly)
                            - Sudoku (you say she likes math)
                            - And maybe some craft kits that let her get out the creative, building side (and perhaps will sway her towards engineering without looking like you are pushing her into it)

Good Luck! It only gets worse from here.

Oh, and I really like the idea of painting/animation software. It sounds like a lot of fun

Edit: I don't mean to sound negative, I just think that it is the beginning of a difficult age, and so many parents push their children into paths that the kids hate. Just make sure you are thinking of her and what she wants, not what you would like her to become. Again, good luck!
                            Since this my youngest daughter, not my only daughter, I have a bit of experience too (as does my wife). If it was a question of buying sweatshirts etc I wouldnt have bothered asking here.

1. She's an athletic girl not a "girlie" girl so she's not interested in clothes and accessories to any great extent yet. Her sister was the same until she decided to stop playing volleyball in her junior year in order to focus on academics (which was a crushing blow to me since I think she was on the brink of showing how good she was gonna be). This is a girl who caught a scorpion in her room. She studied it for a couple of weeks before releasing it outside. Right now she has a hermit crab.
                            2. In any case we already buy the girls what they want (within reason) which is why I asked my question here. There's nothing obvious left to buy. She doesnt even play video games, so that easy option is also out.
                            She spends most of her free time online at neopets and designing websites for her friends (hence the idea for an animation program).

As for your general comments about pushing kids. We dont push our kids, but we do expose them to opportunities and career directions that we think suit their interests and abilities. Most kids, including mine, have no idea what they want to do. In my senior year in highschool (75/76) I was interested in mathematics, constitutional law, and zoology - and ended up in the army for 8 years before going to uni and becoming a cellular immunologist. My wife went to college (french studies) then floundered around until she was lucky enough to find her niche in business. My eldest was 'easy'. She has a full ride at BAMA (although she has other offers which she may still take) and is planning to go 'premed' which keeps her final career options open. OTOH, the youngest is unfocussed. School is too easy, so we try to find her fun things that will challenge her and teach her to try hard (something she hasnt had to do yet but will need in the future).

Aside from the animation software I was wondering whether there was some simple programming language/tools she could use to create stuff with. She would never bother to learn to program without an interesting endpoint though.

Comment

Thanks slow but I'm more interested in personal input.

Comment

Working...
                              X