Thinking about giving up meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about giving up meat

I'm tired of getting food poisoning from meat. Just came off a bout last week. Though it might have been something I got from my brother as he had it too. And meat is kind of icky when you think about it.

2 things steering me away right now. One is meat tastes good. Two is I have enough trouble getting enough protein as it is. Esp. as I started working out again, I need the protein. I don't eat that much meat right now because I'm concerned about heart disease and cholesterol. But the meat I do eat I need for protein (and to fill me up).

But how do you get protein without eating meat? (I can't eat much dairy either). I find I still tend to get too much protein from sugar sources. Not good as I'm concerned about getting diabetes. But I tend to eat too much yogurt and peanut butter for protein as it tastes good. I just don't think I can eat that much sugar and be healthy. So what ways of getting protein are there that taste good besides meat?

veggie meat?
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I have a secret passion about eating meat, love a nice piecwe of juicy meat, just not ready to be a fulltime carnivore..well, maybe one day

I really love meat, and cant for the life of me ever think about giving it up
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I got a bad case of food poising from a salad wrap with no meat in it. You can easily get food poisoning from veggies and fruits.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I've had food poisoning twice, and both times it was because of meatless salads.

Getting protein as a vegetarian isn't too hard: Soy products (tofu, fake meat like Morning Star Farms), eggs, beans, and nuts, if you want to limit dairy.

The hard thing is to avoid over-eating carbs, as vegetarians tend to compensate for not eating meat by eating more carbs like pasta, rice, etc.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I've been lucky enough to never have gotten food poisoning which is bizarre given how I'll eat food from street vendors and other high risk places other people avoid.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Don't do it. Don't.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I've been making deer jerky. Friends have been killing them around here left and right. I love jerky, and how it makes my basement smell when I'm making it.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Hunt a deer yourself and make some venison burgers. Great stuff.

Comment

I don't need to hunt. These guys are getting so much meat they just give it to me.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Why doesn't he hunt a beaver and make venison burgers?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm going to hunt Asher and make stupid burgers.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Comment

You'll never catch me! I have reflexes like a hippy on acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              You'll never catch me! I have reflexes like a hippy on acid.
                              This conjures up some very unusual images, all of them humorous. None of those memories relate in the least to the quickness of the consumer.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X