My Vote is Cast!: Poly Exit Poll/Polling Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nixon
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      We really should have elections on Saturdays.

-Arrian
      Nah, that would really suck here.

No alcohol sales on election day. Don't mess with the weekend!

Polls were not open before work, blizzard going now and expected to get worse. I'll look at the line on the way home, if I can get through it before I need to pick up the baby, great. If not, it's not like my vote was going to count in Utah anyway.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Nixon
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            I went to do my normal research on the judges, and saw that one of them was an old high school buddy (Hey rah, I hope you voted to retain Kip Starck)
            Was he a cook county judge or a lake county judge?
            He's not listed on the Tribunes, "do not retain" judge list for Cook County so he's probably safe.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I'm happy to say that I voted for Nixon that year also.
              You must have a definition of happiness of which I am unaware.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Was he a cook county judge or a lake county judge?
                He's not listed on the Tribunes, "do not retain" judge list for Cook County so he's probably safe.
                Ahhh... I forgot that even though you are in the same town, you are in Cook County.
                He was a Lake County judge. I was really surprised to see him on the list. I'm glad the Trib and Illinois Bar Association had him on the recommended list
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, I voted two weeks ago by absentee ballot, and thank God I did. The ballot in Colorado this year is four pages long and covers every possible race you can have in an election year plus something on the order of 18 amendments and refereda.

Voted for Obama/Biden, and pretty much the straight Democratic ticket this year (usually I split, but I majorly disagreed with every Republican candidate this year).

Colorado puts out a "blue book" each year which describes the amendments, their budgetary consequences, and selected arguments for and against. It also contains the reccomendations of Colorado's non-partisan judicial review panel, which this year unanimously reccomended retention of all but 3 judges, and still reccomended those 3 be retained. I figured I'd give them all the benefit of the doubt this year and screw 'em next time if they can't get a unanimous rec.

There's lots of douchebaggery going on with the amendments this year, so I voted yes on the referendum to up the requirements to amend the constitution and lower them to amend the revised statues. We're awesome in this state about passing constitutional amendments that completely **** up the budget.
                  "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                  "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Nixon
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I was in and out in no time. It helps to live in the middle of nowhere. Obama/Biden; yes to keeping all three current appeals judges though I know nothing about them; voted for the Democrat Kratovil because my parents like him, I lean Democrat anyway and I'm too lazy to research. No on slots, yes on the early-voting initiative. That was it.

EDIT: Did some belated, very cursory Wiki-research on Kratovil and his opponent Williams. Kratovil doesn't seem like a bad state's attorney and Williams has a rage-on for the homosexuals, so I guess I voted right. Yes, I voted for the 1/535th of one-half of Congress who would truly serve my interests!
                      Last edited by Elok; November 4, 2008, 15:46.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

My ballot was pretty simple:

No to the Consitutional Convention
                        Yes to giving 17 year olds the right to participate in primaries if they will be 18 by election day
                        Obama/Biden
                        Joe Courtney (D) for US House of Reps
                        Pam Sawyer (R, unopposed) for State Rep
                        Edith Prague (D, unopposed) for State Senate
                        Somebody (D) for registrar of voters.

The end.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I voted last Thursday. Got there right when it opened and the line was already 45min long (about 8-10 machines).

Paper ballots here -- we fill in ovals like a multiple choice test. Ballots are then sucked into a machine and immediately optically scanned.

I voted my usual blend of parties, as I believe in finding the best candidate for the job from my own POV. I do research and stuff. And if there's any level of doubt, I vote against the incumbent, who is presumed corrupt. (This is Illinois, after all.)

Funny thing about our state elections is that it's the Republicans who are the "outsiders" who will bring "change" to government. About half of the campaign materials from GOP candidates don't list their party affiliation, and all the Dems are trying desperately to avoid being associated with Blagojevich. It's fun to watch them squirm and weasel.

Took about an hour all told.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I live in Fairfax, and just came from Mantua Elementary school. I was able to walk right in(I assume it will be more busy in the evening, CNN was talking about how Virginia was having all kinds of misfires. I used the optical scanning machine. BOTH major parties had cookies left out for the voters. Also:

McCain/Palin[R]
                            Obama/Biden[D]*
                            --some third party candidates--

Mark Warner[D]*
                            Gilmore[R]
                            Gail[G] (for some reason I con only remember her theme song)

Congress:
                            Keith Fimian[R]*
                            Gerry Connolly[D]

Bonds for Parks
                            Y
                            N*
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I just got back from voting. There were almost no lines, which is a probably due to the beautiful blizzard outside and the fact that it was the middle of the day. We researched all the choices last night and so I was able to breeze through with my little cheat sheet. The older women next to me seemed amazed that I could figure out the new fangled electronic machines so quickly, as I assume they had been standing there all morning.

Oh, and UnOrthOdOx, there have been a lot of rumors that if all the dems and those reps that hate McCain actually went out and voted today, Utah could turn blue. It's not likely though, since everyone keeps saying their democratic votes don't count. I said screw that and voted anyway.
                              In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                                And you would have voted for George McGovern who totaled like 17 electoral votes that year?

I'm happy to say that I voted for Nixon that year also. It was my first presidential election.
                                Well, in -my- first election in '92, I voted for Perot, if that gives you a hint
                                But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                                PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Working...
                                X