Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys think the redneck racists of Pensy will re-elect Murtha?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
      Do you guys think the redneck racists of Pensy will re-elect Murtha?
      I think Murtha will survive. But there's another PA Dem incumbent who is in big trouble and will likely lose his congressional seat, and he'll be one of two Dems who do (the other being Tim Mahoney in FL).

But since the Dems will pick up 25-30 seats elsewhere, it won't matter too much.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• What is this coal thing that some of the anti-Obama people I know in Newport News are going on about?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Obama said he was going to use the carbon exchange thing and that people shouldn't open coal plants because they would go bankrupt. The implication is that if you're in the coal industry under Obama you're in trouble, and just maybe ought to support the other guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
            What is this coal thing that some of the anti-Obama people I know in Newport News are going on about?

JM
            It's a fake controversy. There's a sound clip from an interview with the SF Chronicle available online, and they play portions that make it sound like Obama wants to bankrupt the coal industry.

But in the context of the whole statement, what he's saying is that the cap-and-trade system he favors would make it prohibitively expensive to build new traditional coal plants, but he says there's no way to go without coal entirely so clean coal should be pursued.

Palin the Republicans at first claimed the Chronicle covered up the recording until now, but that's simply a lie, as it's been publicly available on their website for months.

As for Obama's proposals on coal--it's pretty much identical with McCain's plan wrt to cap-and-trade and coal emissions. In fact, Sen. Voinovich of Ohio skewered McCain a year or so ago over his proposals, saying it would drive coal out of business. McCain responded (on the Senate Floor, mind you), they yes, it would mean sacrifice.

Just one more last, desperate flail by the tanking GOP.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• McCain is campaigning in Roswell, New Mexico. What's he up to?? Is he selling us out to brain-sucking alien locusts??

Comment

• Only the democrats.

Comment

• He figured he could count on the military and extraterrestrial demographic, and is just locking them in....

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• I imagine you have already discussed this, but, it will be interesting to see how large the secret racist vote is.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

• this is not to say that our men and women in uniform are alien beings, nor that aliens are militant (tho there have been many popular movies exploring this latter notion)...he's just...preachin' to the masses, is all....

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnabas
                        I imagine you have already discussed this, but, it will be interesting to see how large the secret racist vote is.
                        Not much of a secret. Almost all the blacks are voting Obama.

Comment

• Karl Rove calls the election for Obama:

O 338
                          M 200

That is, by coincidence, the exact electoral map I predicted in the other thread.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                            Minnesota
                            Franken (D) 39.5
                            Coleman (R-inc) 37.6
                            Barkley (I) 14.5
                            Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            Franken will win in MN. A late-breaking Coleman scandal has been in the news there over the weekend, and the latest poll had Franken pulling ahead a little. Also, he will probably pick up a good amount of Barkley voters. They are heavily anti-Coleman, and the closeness of the Senate race will prompt many to throw the lever for Franken instead.

And also, Obama will win the state handily, so he should have some coattails.
                            Don't get too cocky - Rasmussen's final poll ending 10/28 called Coleman +4 and SurveyUSA's ending 11/1 called Coleman +5; their methodology isn't systemically inaccurate given that both had him trailing by 4 or more until last week, and the sharp jump was attributable to Coleman's best debate showing last Thursday. RCP's weighted average also shows Coleman +2.8, pollster.com notwithstanding.

I also wouldn't overrate the nationwide coattail effect wrt the fairly unique degree of douchebaggery MN's dealing with; anecdotally at least, from people I've spoken with, I know I won't be the only person voting for Obama and against Franken on the same ticket. (there, I said it)

Let's also not forget that even the much more left-leaning of the state's two major newspapers - which endorsed Obama, Kerry, and Gore - has nonetheless endorsed Coleman at the same time. That shocker alone should illustrate the "anyone but" attitude even Obamite Minnesotans have toward Franken, and toward the fact that Coleman has been a relative RINO capable of at least some bipartisan compromise.
                            Last edited by Darius871; November 3, 2008, 21:28.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

• Star Tribune endorses Barack Obama, Norm Coleman

Pioneer Press endorses Norm Coleman

"The Star Tribune endorsement of Norm Coleman is a little short of shocking," U of M Humphrey Institute Political Analyst Larry Jacobs said.

Jacobs says while the Pioneer Press has a history of backing Republican U.S. Senate candidates, the Star Tribune historically backs Democratic candidates.

"Independent judgment, exercised on behalf of the best interests of the country and state, is what we hope to see from our U.S. senators," [the endorsement] said. "With that hope in mind, this newspaper recommends the re-election of Republican U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman."

The paper called Franken a gifted communicator who helped revitalize the Democratic Party with his best-selling books skewering the Bush administration and the Republican right.

"[Franken]'s an effective critic. It isn't as easy to envision him as a constructive force for bipartisan legislation," the Star Tribune said.

"We endorse Coleman for a second term, and we want it understood that we are endorsing the 'work-across-the-aisle' candidate that he presented to voters," the editorial board said. "The country will need voices of moderation and unity, particularly as we extricate ourselves from Iraq, and we expect Coleman to deliver on this promise."

The paper said it wasn't "blind to Coleman s faults or to the talents of Franken and Barkley" but said it gave Coleman the edge because of his experience, record and stated commitment to bipartisanship.
                              Last edited by Darius871; November 3, 2008, 21:33.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                                Karl Rove calls the election for Obama:

O 338
                                M 200

That is, by coincidence, the exact electoral map I predicted in the other thread.
                                J'accuse!
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X