Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid Waiting At the Polls by Early Voting, My Butt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is that these lines consists mostly of new voters registered by Obama.

Repugs are rich and can afford stamps. So they vote by mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
      Originally posted by MarkG
      i dont get this early voting thing. if there are long lines on election day, just setup more voting stations next time
      it's been 200 years, you should know by now how many people are more or less voting each time around...

A few weeks ago, I attended a town council meeting in the city of Coconut Creek, FL. The town council wanted to rezone some wetlands in order to build a couple of big box stores, a Kohl's and Lowes, both of which can be found withing ten minutes drive of the proposed location. The entire community is opposed to this rezoning. The town council not only voted unanimously in favor of rezoning (and they'd all received thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the developer, hmmmm) they council actually lectured the protesters, most of whom were middle class, suburban parent types.

The point I'm trying to make here is that our government hates when the public gets involved. Why then, would they want smooth, transparent elections? It's not that we can't get our elections right after 200 years. It's that are elections are right for the people who hold them. They just aren't right for the citizens.
      If the resdential tax base makes up to much of the town's budget, they will really be mad when their taxes go up because the town doesn't have a significant commercial tax base, like two big-box stores.
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy

If the resdential tax base makes up to much of the town's budget, they will really be mad when their taxes go up because the town doesn't have a significant commercial tax base, like two big-box stores.
        Be careful of big box stores. They often demand property tax waivers in exchange for them setting up the stores. Then, because of the waivers, they can sell for less and thus drive tax-paying businesses into bankruptcy.

Comment

Yeah, the big boxes can hurt. On one hand they bring in sales taxes (if the state has one) but on the other hand they can often get waivers for so much they're a net wash for small towns and can even be bad if they put to many local retail companies out of business. Regarding churches, personally I'd make them pay property taxes but let them keep their federal income tax exemption. No reason churches should get a completely free ride.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
            Florida is pretty much nothing but architectural travesties. It is the ugliest place I've ever lived.
            That bad? Don't the ocean views at least make up part of it?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              Repugs are rich and can afford stamps. So they vote by mail.
              Georgia doesn't allow voting by mail... unless you have a real absentee reason.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Neither does Texas. HEY! We could pay a newly unemployed to stand in line!
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  That bad? Don't the ocean views at least make up part of it?
                  Yes indeedy they do.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The line was short when I stopped in to pick up some books at the library today, so I voted. I've got at least one vote.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm writing in Comrade Snuggles.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        i dont get this early voting thing. if there are long lines on election day, just setup more voting stations next time
                        it's been 200 years, you should know by now how many people are more or less voting each time around...
                        Since local officials determine how many voting machines to put where, it can be used as a method of vote suppression. Don't want high turnout in a rival party's stronghold? Limit the voting machines available.

Having early voting is a way a state can wrest some of that local power away and reduce instances of suppression of this kind.

Personally, I would like to see all states adopt a mail-in system like we have here in Oregon. We always have very high voter participation relative to other states.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                        X