Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid Waiting At the Polls by Early Voting, My Butt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid Waiting At the Polls by Early Voting, My Butt!

So, since I had a cable problem and had to have Comcast out here (during work hours), I decided to take the day off and go early vote as well.

I though, well, it's Wednesday 2 weeks before the election. I'm probably pushing it by going at lunch time (12:15ish), but it should be 30 minutes, 45 minutes at most, right?

2 hours and 15 minutes later, I FINALLY got to vote. Man, that was a Hellishly long line. Having only one place in the county to early vote probably didn't help, but damn. Voting on election day would have been quicker!

And to top it all off, since I was leaving during "school traffic" hours, I ended up getting a ticket for driving too fast (who can drive 25 mph anyway) .

Anyways, let this be a lesson, if you are going to vote, go very, very early in the day (like 7 AM) to avoid the rush. This election may really test people's line waiting patience.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Waiting when voting
    Blah

Comment

That's what you get for living in podunk, where it's the sole voting place and people come from hundreds of miles to vote on the one voting machine.

25?!? What is this, rally road racing tractor land?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I always vote early. No queues.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'm betting that my "podunk" county has more people than Sloww's county... what would that make Sloww's county?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I think I know where Sloww lives. Pretty big county, IIRC.

Bad bet.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, perhaps... he may live in Dallas County. His bumpkin ways may fit in there .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I'm betting that my "podunk" county has more people than Sloww's county... what would that make Sloww's county?
                Do you really want to bet? You move around a lot, so I'm unsure where you're located.

There were 1.185 million voters in Dallas County four years ago.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh and here I was thinking you were more country...

The two counties I've lived in in the past 6 years had 700,000 and 900,000 respectively.

Maybe I should have said people per square mile... would have been closer!

Comment

How did you not get your vote disqualified you non-American you?!
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I fooled 'em by putting on whiteface

Comment

When I stopped at the library yesterday, there was a long line for early voting. I'm very pleased, actually, because it means people are really interested in participating in the process. I didn't vote because I have a pain in my hip and I can't stand for long periods.

Democracy

Of course, we're already seeing problems in Florida.

Floridian "democracy"
                        Last edited by chequita guevara; October 22, 2008, 19:44.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Absentee Ballots solve many problems
                          ...A pity that many of them get thrown out
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The long lines are due to the ratio of early voting stations compared to election day voting places. In some areas its 20 to 1, most are 6 - 8 to 1.
                            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

There has been some massive increases in early voting over previous years. In TX, the increase is 76% over 2004, and we're on the low end (swing states, particularly new swing states, will have larger increases).

Did a little stats on the TX data available to see if anyone has an advantage. The correlation between the increase in early voting and the Kerry vote is a small negative number (-0.10). Probably meaningless, since looking at county-level differences is too low a resolution. But in states where there actually is meaningful data (i.e. NC, GA, and FL), Dems are looking pretty well off. Here's a compilation:
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X