Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Night Ponderings: Going for a MSc or MBA, is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done both, and while the management part has financially rewarded me better, the tech part has satisfied most of my passion more frequently. In most companies the management staff gets the lion's share of the bonuses and none of our tech's salaries approaches mine.

And don't believe that Snoop is just a programmer. While he is still learning, he's an excelent data and buisness analyst, and his process and design skills have gotten him lots of attention here at work.
    He just hasn't convinced himself that he's more than a programmer yet. But he's learned everything else quickly.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You work with snoop?

He needs to work on his attention to detail. The Fantasy Hockey League has butchered stats due to his work.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I hired him. One of my better managerial decisions. Actuall his attention to detail has been one of his biggest strengths here. Of course that a huge part of his job. I guess I pay him more that the Fantasy Hockly Leauge does.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Did you hire him before you met him on Poly?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

After. We met at Ming's for a CHICAGO POLY meet and after chatting with him for a few hours or so, I told my brother that the next opening I got, I was going to hire him. About 9 months later, I had a spot open up and I contacted him. He's done great. It's so hard to completely judge a person in an interview. I'd much rather sit with a person informally and just chat. (I was drinking, but he wasn't) hahahaha
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

besides, anyone that can kick my ass in CIV IV MP can't be stupid.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think you should do an Arts degree.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  I think you should do an Arts degree.
                  If I wanted to be homeless I could just quit my job.

Comment

I am struggling with the same question myself.

Btw, how good is the Stanford MBA?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Stanford: One of the best in the nation. If you can get in there you're set.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I dunno, they've sent me an invite to this evening, after I've had my first GMAT exam . I've got a GMAT of 690, a couple of years of commanding and managing experience, and a B.Sc. from my country's best technological university.

How am I doing?
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't think a 690 is going to cut it for Stanford.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            You work with snoop?

He needs to work on his attention to detail. The Fantasy Hockey League has butchered stats due to his work.
                            My QA analysts only had a 66% bug catching rate
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                              I don't think a 690 is going to cut it for Stanford.
                              I'd wonder that too, but at the same time it shocked me how low of scores are accepted into high MBA schools. That test is easy as **** if you study at least a little for it... a 750-770 is not that difficult to get if you work for it a bit and are a good test-taker. (Admittedly I'm a very good test taker, but still...) Yet most schools - even way up there - had ranges of like 670-750 (25%-75%) or something silly like that.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Personally, I dont see the point of a MSc. Perhaps it's different in the CS world but the salary increase is negligable in biotech. The MBA is worth way more in the long run than any MSc provided you're not an idiot who "loves" his work (as I unfortunately do).

I spend every second I can telling my girls to become professionals and not to enter science unless they get an MBA and manage the science.
                                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                                X