No announcement yet.

China is awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe's work concerning probes while impressive individually lags far behind the US as far as number sent out and data collected.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

And China's manned space program has far fewer practice-hours of experience than the Americans do. Its great notability is in the speed of its progress, rather than in the tried-and-tested solidity of its foundation.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Speed of its progress? Hasn't it been in the works for 20 odd years? Considering the technology available to the Chinese it becomes even less impressive.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

They've had a space program around since the mid-1980s, with a vague intention of putting a man in space. But they've hit their milestones in a relatively rapid progression - Yang Liwei in 2003, then two more in 2005, and now the trio with EVA mission in 2008. They also got a lunar orbiter up last year (2007) and they are planning a Mars orbiter with Russia in 2009.

Given the relative obscurity of the Chinese Space Program in the 1980s and 1990s, the achievements they've made in this decade are pretty startling. Granted, they're not breaking new ground beyond what the ESA, NASA, and Russian/Soviet missions have done before them, but the fact is that they went from a has-been forgotten Politburo project to something that can competently replicate what the West's well-funded space programs can do.

Not to disparage what the West did at all, or to overinflate the achievements of the Chinese.

Much also relies on political will, internally. The fact that there haven't been any Moon landings by the US in past decades owes much less to technology than it does to funding and interest. So this whole commentary is more to say "well, at least the Chinese government is able to demonstrate that it can achieve results akin to the West when it puts its mind to it".

That's probably the de minimis message the government wants its own people to take away from this too. "We have the technology and the will for these achievements, and hence our continued mandate to govern."
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Addendum:

Patroklos, I don't get your location line. I'm all for more drinking but I don't understand how the "no more ships" bit affects that?
            Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; October 2, 2008, 15:05.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

There hasn't been alcohol on USN ships since prohibition, so now that I am on shore duty I don't have to take several month long breaks in my drinking schedule.

No more ships

Comment

China Launches First Willing Manned Mission Into Space

"lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  There hasn't been alcohol on USN ships since prohibition, so now that I am on shore duty I don't have to take several month long breaks in my drinking schedule.

No more ships
                  That's a lie. On at least one occasion, a Canadian rescue minesweeper has given cases of beer to a US destroyer.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No more ships
                    Ahhh, okay. That makes sense.

I thought it was a commentary on Charleston SC for some reason. As if they'd closed a naval base and then somehow... opened more bars?
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

No more ships
                      Actually we all got two beer tickets each one day when we were out in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Some guys actually got drunk by buying other people's tickets. I don't know if they still do that though.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

The problem is that Europe has been focusing on probes far longer.
                        Ours are better.

Whatever. The more the merrier, IMO.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Interesting logo a bit star treky but still cool.
                          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Ours are better.
                            Citation needed
                            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

"I personally believe that China will be back on the moon before we are," NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said in a low-key lecture in Washington two weeks ago, marking the space agency's 50th anniversary, still a year away.
                              Link to the source article from 2007, CNN

"I think when that happens, Americans will not like it. But they will just have to not like it."

Comment

Interesting logo a bit star treky but still cool.
                                Yes very Treky, but why no Chinese characters on it? I know English particularly in the written form is common throughout Asia but they really should show more good old fashion ethnocentrism. I'd go with a vertical set of characters in white inside the blue chevron that would look quite nice.
                                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X