Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't worry, Drake. That money is instantaneous (or close to it).
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
      My bank account and student loans are with Citi. I hope I'm not going to get screwed if they go under.
      Can you in case of bankruptcy set off against each other?
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• The way these things usually work nowadays is rather civilized.

The bank's branches close for the evening, the bank is taken over by the FDIC, the bank is sold that evening to another bank, and then the bank opens the next morning as if nothing had happened.

I doubt that you would have any disruption on withdrawals longer than 14 hours or so.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• it was civilized up to this point, and will most likely stay, but if I were you - open another bank account at JPM, or even better Wells Fargo transfer and not worry about disruption... that would be my choice, even though like Dan says - it shouldn't be anything serious even if Citi folds.

Still safe is safe, and cutting down on the potential stress in such fairly obvious situation is good...
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Stop trying to cause bank runs, dude.

The FDIC will cover its obligations. Period. You talk about the US gov't dropping to AA+ being the apocalypse. It's not. The FDIC not paying out is the apocalypse.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Stop trying to cause bank runs, dude.
              I'm not going to make a run on the bank. Don't care enough to do that.

Comment

• 250k here 250k there... and it's the fall of capitalism

started at Apolyton
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• A couple days later and the valuations are still good, but not quite as eye-popping. The trailing twelve month yield on the S&P 500 is still slightly above the yield on the 10-year treasury.

Here's a puzzle. The price of oil has declined from ~ $145 to $55, but Exxon-Mobil has declined only 15% in the last year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the S&P 500 take another leg down, given that Exxon-Mobil is 4.16% of the index itself.
                  Last edited by DanS; November 24, 2008, 15:51.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• This very morning my friends bought: hou.to for himself and the student fund.

The funny thing is that he spoke about it the whole weekend ( he is a student in finance, and manage a student fund (around 100 000$).
                    Google Finance provides real-time market quotes, international exchanges, up-to-date financial news, and analytics to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

I should have bought with him...
                    bleh

Comment

• Ultra-long oil? I don't agree with this investment. The price could very easily go to $20.

Comment

• Surely it's better than investing in AMAT. anSCool:
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Ha! I doubt it. I'd have to hear the rationale there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                            A couple days later and the valuations are still good, but not quite as eye-popping. The trailing twelve month yield on the S&P 500 is still slightly above the yield on the 10-year treasury.
                            Do you think we are near bottom while the shocks are still going off under the world's larger financial institutions?

Intuition tells me the deadwood is still being cleared, the correction too short, and we have a ways to go.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• The next major risk in financial sector is emerging markets and that will send stocks even lower yet again (there will most likely be other not-so-big reasons too, like consumer credit)... but within a year we should be out... restructured/nationalized banks getting on with their business and credit markets recovering fueling recovery for all the rest... at least at the moment I think we can see the end of the tunnel and it is 6-12 months off...

Comment

• I don't know. Even if some deadwood is still being cleared, there will be some sectors coming off their lows. Tough to know what the net result of that is.

Last week, there must have been quite a bit of forced selling. Funds selling for customer redemptions, margin sellers receiving margin calls, etc. So even if we find deep value, it wouldn't surprise me to see some more lows due to forced sales. Then you have energy, which could still have a leg or two down.

But when we talk about new lows, we should appreciate what that means -- the "worst" bear market since the Great Depression. Even if you think we're going to have a garden variety depression (not seen since 1907?), there would be some good value to be had. If you're looking for a great depression, then all bets are off, of course.
                                Last edited by DanS; November 25, 2008, 05:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X