Debate the Debate's Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    Well he should have. That's his strong suit.

McCain needed to win big tonight. I don't think he did well enough.
    FACT!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Obama better do better on teh economy than he did tonight though.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        Eh. Both avoided actually answering most of the questions directed their way, as they more or less had to in order to not get buried in attack ads later ("what would you cut?"). Also it's not like they could actually propose a way to balance the budget, just a bunch of tiny little whittles that sound big.

Standard American debate, really, but I felt enormously thankful that we had our first presidential debate in twelve years wherein neither candidate was a complete blithering idiot.
        You should watch the Canadian debate on Oct 2nd. They're always classic. 5 candidates shouting over eachother shouting blatant lies and throwing excrement.

Watching the American debate is refreshing. They're respectful.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think McCain won not by being good, but because Obama didn't hammer him when he screwed up. Obama needed to sound more confident, make more memorable points.

On the other hand, people already see him as less experienced, and he didn't get killed horribly. McCain also came off as less honest, lied more about his record. Unfortunately if he doesn't get called on that, people might not realize that he's doing it.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
            It's over. McCain expressed his ideas better then Obama but he also lied a lot. Obama had better ideas but did not express them as well. No clear winner for me.

Edit: Fox News declared McCain the winner the moment it ended, reading back specific quotes of McCain lying and claiming this worked against Obama.
            That's because lying works well in political campaigns.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It probably wouldn't be very funny, Ash, seeing as I know nothing about the issues they'd be discussing. Plus I can't even guess where I might watch it.

Also, aren't the Veep debates Oct. 2 or thereabouts? You have to understand that psycho-milf vs. logorrhea-man is my absolute top priority. It'll be like the Special Olympics Superbowl of politics.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

You should watch the Canadian debate on Oct 2nd. They're always classic. 5 candidates shouting over eachother shouting blatant lies and throwing excrement.

Watching the American debate is refreshing. They're respectful.
                Will that be available online? I suspect it won't be on TV in the states
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

MrFun, I thought McCain's comment that if you tax business too heavy they'll move out was spot on. Obama said something I liked too, that he would cut tax breaks to corps that moved overseas. I'll give that one to Obama because even though McCain is right about taxes on business, a penalty to go along with those taxes might just counter the continued exit of business.

Point Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    It probably wouldn't be very funny, Ash, seeing as I know nothing about the issues they'd be discussing. Plus I can't even guess where I might watch it.
                    It's the same in every single country.

Q: The economy sucks, how would you fix it?
                    3 of the 5 parties will respond: TAX IT MORE!
                    1 of the 5 parties will respond: GIVE IT TO QUEBEC!
                    1 of the 5 parties will respond: STIMULATE THE MARKET!
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      MrFun, I thought McCain's comment that if you tax business too heavy they'll move out was spot on. Obama said something I liked too, that he would cut tax breaks to corps that moved overseas. I'll give that one to Obama because even though McCain is right about taxes on business, a penalty to go along with those taxes might just counter the continued exit of business.

Point Obama.
                      Ah, but I never said that McCain did not make ANY good points.

There was also one point in the debate where I thought McCain was close to losing his cool.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I agree with those saying Obama played defensively waaay too much. McCain was more on offense. Obama could have hammered McCain a few times if he wanted to, but mostly out of Obama, you heard a lot of "John/Senator McCain is right" while McCain said a lot of "Senator Obama just doesn't understand", etc.

It made Obama look like he was following along. Based on policies, it was even, but on how they conducted themselves, McCain gets a slight victory.

And a majority of people thought Obama was going to win because of his eloquence on stump speeches (according to polling)... the expectations bar tends to be pretty big sometimes in these debates.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well at least you guys have debates.

We only get ads and the politicians dislike being confronted with questions about their actual plans.

Comment

The analysts on PBS all seem to agree that they both did ok, but it won't change anything, and said nothing about how they both seemed to **** up.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

MCCAIN WON HANDS DOWN. Anyone who claims otherwise either has AIDS or is Terry Mcaulligfph. At all of McCain's zingers, I cheered; but Obama's left me feeling empty, and I booed them. This continued for forty minutes until a female with an Obama pin spilled her drink on me and I punched her in the face. Does anyone here know a free attorney in the DC area who isn't a public defender? I'm not spending my inheritance checks on this.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Ah, but I never said that McCain did not make ANY good points.

There was also one point in the debate where I thought McCain was close to losing his cool.
                                I didn't see that at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X