No announcement yet.

Sarah Palin's Pastor Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which case my point stands stronger than ever. If we can say with some degree of certainty whether John Edwards screwed a kinda homely campaign employee while his wife had cancer, but not whether George W. Bush actually kept any of his campaign promises...sure, the nature of Johnny-boy's relationships is piddling, prurient garbage, but you could at least theoretically make some sort of rough statement about what that incident said about his potential political inclinations. Like he might veto any planned National Don't Be A Colossal Douchebag Initiative or something. It's like the difference between an infinitely small fraction and zero: tiny but at the same time undeniably significant.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• I wasn't disagreeing with you... well not entirely .

Though, of course, must be sift through all the pandering BS someone does to get elected... some of those issues the candidate actually believes in, and has to try to deliver in order to have a hope of re-election. Promises while running for re-election, well....
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• In which case my point stands stronger than ever. If we can say with some degree of certainty whether John Edwards screwed a kinda homely campaign employee while his wife had cancer, but not whether George W. Bush actually kept any of his campaign promises...sure, the nature of Johnny-boy's relationships is piddling, prurient garbage, but you could at least theoretically make some sort of rough statement about what that incident said about his potential political inclinations. Like he might veto any planned National Don't Be A Colossal Douchebag Initiative or something. It's like the difference between an infinitely small fraction and zero: tiny but at the same time undeniably significant.

Not really. I mean if a Presidential campaign had absolutely no correlation with the initiatives that the Admin would push, there might be something to that, but that's clearly not the case. Bush promised massive tax cuts for the rich, for example, and that's exactly what we got.

Admins can of course change course, but they don't exactly make these decisions casually. For example, the Bush Admin promised the Federalist Society SCOTUS appointments; when he tried to appoint Harriet Miers instead, it blew up in his face. Breaking major promises with your key allies doesn't happen all too frequently. And when it does, that's usually associated with major external events (i.e. 9/11 & Iraq).

We don't really know which promises a candidate is going to follow through with and which he or she won't. And since the former outnumbers the latter, it's best to operate under the assumption that every internally consistent part of the platform is basically genuine (for example, deficit reduction isn't internally consistent with either candidate's platform).

As for "character," they're all tools. And you know, a good bit of grease is sometimes is necessary to get the job done (compare the success of, say, Carter's and LBJ's domestic agendas).
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael
          All the people spelling it judgement are Americans. You think they're doing because they want to sound British or because they don't know the ****ing difference?
          I had a good spelling teacher when I was younger. Sorry if that offends you.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
            But you are missing my point... The Dems are going after Palin for her "lack" of experience, yet defending Obama's lack of experience just like you are. You can't have it both ways. Either they are both qualified or neither is
            And you're missing ours... that the GOP is making these attacks and then puts forth a veep one heartbeat away from the the presidency, who is worse in every category that their labeling Obama with is hypocrisy. We're calling you on it.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben
              And you're missing ours... that the GOP is making these attacks and then puts forth a veep one heartbeat away from the the presidency, who is worse in every category that their labeling Obama with is hypocrisy. We're calling you on it.
              And the dems are making their attacks on a person who may never be president, while their top candidate has similar experience issues... Hypocrisy... a two way street here.

So you are still missing the point, and I'm calling you on it

I think they both lack the experience.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Well, there's considerable evidence that we've had atheist - or at least nonreligious - presidents in the past.
                Perhaps, but in the days of television attack ads, and with fundamentalists frothing at the mouth all over the place, the odds of a self-proclaimed atheist being elected seem miniscule, at best.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I find it amusing that the Obamaphiles are arguing that Palin isn't qualified to be president because she sometimes uses a teleprompter.

Never mind the fact that Obama can't function without one.

All I can conclude is that the Democrats don't value executive experience. Nothing wrong with that, but really, why don't they just stop about all the attacks on experience. It doesn't really help them.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The fact of the matter is that both Palin and Obama are grossly underqualified to be President, while both McCain and Biden are more than qualified for the job.

What's sad, though, is that Biden didn't get the nomination. I bet he could even beat McCain, unlike Obama.
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                      I find it amusing that the Obamaphiles are arguing that Palin isn't qualified to be president because she sometimes uses a teleprompter.
                      I've never heard that. Man, are you ever desperate.

I'm sure some person once said that, but to claim that Obama supporters in general are saying that is insufferably stupid.

DESPERATE. Like Agathon at a party with cool people. DESPERATE.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• DESPERATE. Like Agathon at a party with cool people. DESPERATE.

Comment

• Actually, in that situation I imagine the cool people would be the desperate ones. Imagine that, they're hanging around drinking, dancing, or whatever cool people do (wouldn't know, never having been one myself), when all of a sudden this philosophy professor comes along and starts talking about how they're all ignorant fascists. What a buzz-kill.
                          1011 1100

Comment

• I don't know. I think I'd just get him drunk and make him **** the ugly girl.

Comment

• Dude, you just know Aggie's a MEAN drunk.
                              1011 1100

Comment

• Then I'd get the ugly girl to kick his ass. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                                X