No announcement yet.

I've had a fight with my father & family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOu're 20. Becoming your own man now. Think about it.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

He's young. He has the rest of his life to be his own man.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        He lives in Slovenia... not sure a 20h/week load would bring him enough. In any case, he's the one knowing.
        Yes, this is true. However, he was the one to set the artificial parameter of 40 hours a week of work. Perhaps he is setting up a false choice and could live within the means of a 20 hour a week job.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Yes, this is true. However, he was the one to set the artificial parameter of 40 hours a week of work. Perhaps he is setting up a false choice and could live within the means of a 20 hour a week job.

I've arleady said this depedns on what the job is, the average part time job and what it pays would not work out with 20 hours a week and the living expense incurred without me going into debt as well (looking into that), a better part time job just might, but I would need to be rather lucky to get such a job.

The problem like I said is my lack of experience, like I said I only ever held silly jobs like working in Mercator (Wallmart basically), Telemarketing (didn't do that too well, since I had to sell crap which I would never buy) and working in a window factory.

Originally posted by Solver

I sympathize with your economic situation, I know that the current economy in your country probably means that you can't pay rent and feed yourself with only a part-time job, while a full-time job is stressful and difficult along with studies. My only advice there would be to try and get the best job you can, maybe you'll get lucky. See if you can get a job that would give you enough money while taking less time than a full-time job, that may actually be possible given your talents. You can PM me if you don't get what I mean.

Good luck
          I'll try.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Herc, at the end of your life, you're the one that has to look back and decide, among mortal men, if you did right.
            You have to play the cards dealt to you, by your expectations. As for your father, know that he wants what's best for you, by his experience. Don't shuck him off out of hand. He might be right. As I said though, you have to do what feels right for you.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Most people (at least in the States) have had their share of "silly jobs" while attending college. This is a non-issue.
              It might be easy for you to tell others what is an issue or a non-issue for others. On one hand, I understand how some might think Herac might be neglecting on being more self-responsible. On other hand, I also can see how working in an unfavorable job for extended period of time can add greater stress.

I worked in retail (Super Target) while working on my thesis, and also while teaching community college classes as an adjunct. I learned to juggle all these. Maybe Herac should have more confidence in being able to juggle at least a part-time job while going to college.

In my case, juggling the things I did has paid off. Because of my unfavorable job at Super Target, I was able to live sufficiently enough while living with a friend and now I'm leaving that job for something much better. It can pay off for Herac as well.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

So... I've made my choice.

Lets see where I get on my own.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Don't rent your own place, share it with someone else, all you need is one bedroom for yourself after all
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Good luck.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Haha, you got issues... i am 32, living at my mums, no income really and all that, BECAUSE at the time when i should have, i didnt know what i wanted and thus started to study a field that was advised to me by my dad. Not that i want to blame it on him (i should have known on my own), but now i am stuck with 20 semester of studying what i call the field of fraud, euphemism, flat-out lies and academic wet dreams (environmental science), at a university which would like to be prestigious, but is really lousy. I hate it so much, i cant get myself to finish (trying to find a topic for a thesis that is not utter BS for like 4 years now). But you cant really apply for an apprenticeship at age 32 either - thus stuck. Total looser.

If i can give any advice: Never study anything, you are not interested in - you are almost certainly doomed to fail. Since you do seem to know what you want, i´d suggest, you´d give it another shot, trying to convince your dad, that forcing you to study something you are not interested in, will ultimately lead to dissappointment and waste of money. Ask him wether he wants to support YOU, or HIS idea of what you should be... Cause if its the later he should bag his cash and shove it up his... well you know what... Accepting support from him, for studying what you dont like, wont improve your relation with him either in the long term, because of impending failure...

Comment

good luck mate We'll always be here if you ever want a ***** and a moan, or even juist a bit of advice
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I wish I would have never gotten a degree. I prefer working with my hands. I don't care that much about money like I did when I was younger.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                            Don't rent your own place, share it with someone else, all you need is one bedroom for yourself after all
                            Totally. Normally your university should have accomodation for poor students.

I'll give you an example. Here at my university you can get perfectly good rooms in "community houses" (either dorms or university owned houses) for €200/month or so, and that includes internet access and other expenses. People that live there could work one day a week in a bar or restaurant for €50 a day (very often a sunday) and have their rent paid. The very poor, or youth who are on their own can apply for a grant as well. If you just work weekends for example you'd be able to survive perfectly.

I don't know if government helps as much in Slovenia as in Belgium but hey... you live in continental Europe after all so I guess it can't be that bad.

Also: try to have a group of good friends you can rely on in times of adversity.
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              It takes longer, but all my school was at night while working full-time, raising a new family,
                              No one can tell you what's right for you, though.
                              I fully support this, you see in our culture it is fairly uncommon to work full time and study (with a good reason), but if get screwed like this, it is always a better option...

I did the same, but for different reason - came to UK to study, and was prepared for this, so that was OK, and I finished everything, so it's definitely doable... in here most of the people do it anyway (or some form of it), which is not without its drawbacks, but in a clear cut situation like yours - just do it, and if you are lucky they will also come to their senses sooner or later...
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

So you've finally killed your father Hera. I knew this day would come. You are now the man of the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X