No announcement yet.

I've had a fight with my father & family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a few more details would be necessary to make an informed decision. What is it that you are capable of doing, and what is it that your family wants you to do? Of course, I understand if you don't want to answer.

Comment

Can you just go on the dole like most EuroComs
      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

People can do advanced quantum mechanics in their head while their body digs trenches?

That just made me feel very dumb.
        Well, maybe not. But a job that will require a lot of brainpower will certainly drain your recources in the spare time you have besides the job.

And digging trenches might be a bit too much of phisical labour. I was more thinking of working on a production line or something. Simple work that will allow your mind to wander off to greener pastures.
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I first read that word as "entrails" and was confused for a second.

But yes, Heraclitus, I'd say that at this point you have to decide for yourself. We're not close enough to the rift or the facts of your livelihood to tell you with any degree of authority.

For all the paths you put forth, there's going to be a valid positive and a valid negative. Say you go along with what your father demands. The immediate view will be that you caved in under pressure and that you let somebody else tell you what to do. But it's possible that in time you might change your mind and independently come to agree with him in your own right. If this happens (and it did happen to me with my parents) then your act of acceding will save you a lot of time and the best years of your life. Had I listened to my parents years ago and gone into law instead of journalism, I would have saved myself a lot of heartache, poverty, and wasted years... and I would have ended up in the same line of work as I'm in now.

Who's to say that this rosy outcome will happen? Not me, that's for sure. Only you know best.

On the flip side, there are things that it may be worth being uncompromising about. I've been there too. Using family issues as an example, I've grown quite frank with my parents about ways that they can and cannot talk to me. My father used to be a traditional Chinese father, expecting a great deal of deference and obedience - and he'd be willing to back this up with verbal abuse. I put up with this as a kid because I was too young to really state my own stance and to scope out my own boundaries. But starting from my 23rd year I had enough geographical distance from him to say to him "You can't keep doing this and expect me to still be part of your life."

His email communications have become much more moderate, and despite a few clashes in face-to-face communications, I think we're making progress.

I'm sorry I can't give you any better guidance than this. There are times to hold fast to your ideals when it really is completely subjective (such as what type of relationship with your family is acceptable to you). But there are times when objective factors do come into it, and in those times it can be quite dangerous to let nothing but abstract ideals guide you.

Specifically, it seems you're looking proactively into other sources of funding. Can you take out any student loans? These are generally a low-priority unsecured debt, so once you're making an income you can generally pay them off at a manageable schedule.

I would counsel that you make absolutely sure you can survive the fall, before you sever yourself from the family. There is a fine line between bravery and foolhardiness, and sometimes the only difference is in the preparations.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
            Can you just go on the dole like most EuroComs
            "the dole"

English idiom ?
            does not compute
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

Well, maybe not. But a job that will require a lot of brainpower will certainly drain your recources in the spare time you have besides the job.

And digging trenches might be a bit too much of phisical labour. I was more thinking of working on a production line or something. Simple work that will allow your mind to wander off to greener pastures.
              Ok, that is a good point, I'll keep this in mind as I'll look for jobs.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                I first read that word as "entrails" and was confused for a second.

But yes, Heraclitus, I'd say that at this point you have to decide for yourself. We're not close enough to the rift or the facts of your livelihood to tell you with any degree of authority.

For all the paths you put forth, there's going to be a valid positive and a valid negative. Say you go along with what your father demands. The immediate view will be that you caved in under pressure and that you let somebody else tell you what to do. But it's possible that in time you might change your mind and independently come to agree with him in your own right. If this happens (and it did happen to me with my parents) then your act of acceding will save you a lot of time and the best years of your life. Had I listened to my parents years ago and gone into law instead of journalism, I would have saved myself a lot of heartache, poverty, and wasted years... and I would have ended up in the same line of work as I'm in now.

Who's to say that this rosy outcome will happen? Not me, that's for sure. Only you know best.

On the flip side, there are things that it may be worth being uncompromising about. I've been there too. Using family issues as an example, I've grown quite frank with my parents about ways that they can and cannot talk to me. My father used to be a traditional Chinese father, expecting a great deal of deference and obedience - and he'd be willing to back this up with verbal abuse. I put up with this as a kid because I was too young to really state my own stance and to scope out my own boundaries. But starting from my 23rd year I had enough geographical distance from him to say to him "You can't keep doing this and expect me to still be part of your life."

His email communications have become much more moderate, and despite a few clashes in face-to-face communications, I think we're making progress.

I'm sorry I can't give you any better guidance than this. There are times to hold fast to your ideals when it really is completely subjective (such as what type of relationship with your family is acceptable to you). But there are times when objective factors do come into it, and in those times it can be quite dangerous to let nothing but abstract ideals guide you.

Specifically, it seems you're looking proactively into other sources of funding. Can you take out any student loans? These are generally a low-priority unsecured debt, so once you're making an income you can generally pay them off at a manageable schedule.

I would counsel that you make absolutely sure you can survive the fall, before you sever yourself from the family. There is a fine line between bravery and foolhardiness, and sometimes the only difference is in the preparations.
                Thanks for the advice AC.

Comment

Doesn't your university have some sort of hardship fund? You may want to look into that in case you decide to choose your own route in life.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I think you don't realize how many expenses going to college completely on your own entails.
                    I don't think you know what experiences others have had. Your tuition is paid for, correct?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"the dole"

English idiom ?
                      does not compute
                      Welfare
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

People can do advanced quantum mechanics in their head while their body digs trenches?
                        Ok, practice your "Would you like fries or some of Dyson Lectures with your Big Mac?".
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

@ SlowwHand

That's suggests an excellent idea. Profit off the brokenness of most of the school system.

Here in India, there is a huge market for good tutors for schoolchildren or sometimes even college-going students in difficult subjects. People are willing to pay to get that competitive edge for their child.

Are there any such opportunities in the USA? Can you tutor high-school children for AP Physics/Mathematics? Or even just normal HS Physics or Mathematics? The way it's done here is that around five to ten children come to the tutor's house, he teaches them for around one and a half to two hours, and classes are held generally every other day. Batch sizes larger than that tend to destroy the individual attention for which a premium is being paid.

Three slots like this per day (which means six batches total), roughly an eight-hour workday, and the money is, AFAIK, more than enough to live on for a college student.

However, I do not know if:

a) Such a market exists in the USA, and
                          b) If it is viable even if it exists.

Comment

Listen to your dad and continue as a tamed and broken man.

Comment

Why not? A woman will eventually do it to him. Might as well get a headstart.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                Most people (at least in the States) have had their share of "silly jobs" while attending college. This is a non-issue.
                                Bear in mind that the university system is Europe is often different.

It's often not credit-based, but year-based, which means you can't just take less credits and graduate in, say, 5 years instead of 3.
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X