No announcement yet.

I've had a fight with my father & family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A woman would give him sex. At least for awhile.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Slovenians reproduce asexually.

Comment

Can you take out loans?

I understand the losing skills point.

One thing is that I do know many people who left physics for a year or two (between BS and PhD, but should still relate) and than were able to come back. It would probably help if you were doing something that kept up some of your skills (Like the C skills or math skills, or else maybe just continue reading/working problems in your evenings?).

If it isn't so bad what your parents want you to do, you could do that for a couple years and than go back to physics.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Why not? A woman will eventually do it to him. Might as well get a headstart.
          Now that's wisdom.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Markos also has a point. Pack your bags, live in the street on top of a sewer grate for warmth with a book on quantum fizziks as your pillow. Get scrawny and malnourished. Ask your mom to bring you a sandwich since you haven't taken in anything but Einstien in three days. Your mother will make your father's life a living hell and he'll be falling all over himself to help you along your chosen path, with a big bonus in living expenses.

Spend alot of time defending your father's choice to cut you off when talking to your mom. Tell them you love them in spite of the hell you daily endure. It has really made you aware how much they loved you to provide for you up to this wretched end.

Really, your dad is so screwed, he has no idea.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
              Bear in mind that the university system is Europe is often different.

It's often not credit-based, but year-based, which means you can't just take less credits and graduate in, say, 5 years instead of 3.
              So what? He should be able to take a full load and still work 20 hours a week in order to put bread on the table.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Don't you lazy Slovenes know what a part time job is?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you let your parents control you now, they'll simply be doing it their whole life. Tell them what hole to stick it in, and if they never talk to you again, **** 'em.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, Hera. I don't know you or your family very well. And I'm in the dark as to the particulars of your situation, but I'll tell you what you should do.

Buy that car. Don't worry about what other people think. Sure, you're wife will nag at you for it. But she's been doing that for years. And after putting up with all her nonsense and the two ungrateful little brats she farted out, you deserve something that will make you happy for once. Buy it and don't look back.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

So what? He should be able to take a full load and still work 20 hours a week in order to put bread on the table.
                      I know some, and I don't know if I could do this, who did a full load and worked 40 hours a week. Now, they were pre-meds and not physicists, but it might still be possible.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

He lives in Slovenia... not sure a 20h/week load would bring him enough. In any case, he's the one knowing.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                          Well, Hera. I don't know you or your family very well. And I'm in the dark as to the particulars of your situation, but I'll tell you what you should do.

Buy that car. Don't worry about what other people think. Sure, you're wife will nag at you for it. But she's been doing that for years. And after putting up with all her nonsense and the two ungrateful little brats she farted out, you deserve something that will make you happy for once. Buy it and don't look back.
                          Listen to DaShi
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                            If you let your parents control you now, they'll simply be doing it their whole life. Tell them what hole to stick it in, and if they never talk to you again, **** 'em.
                            This is probably the first time I will ever agree with DF.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I assume the university system in Slovenia is closer to what I am familiar with, as opposed to the American system. You say you have physics and maths to catch up on... if the system is what I think, you can choose one of those and carry the other onto your next year as academic debts. That will likely require some additional payment but since you're already paying for your studies, that added expense should be small in comparison. You've always seemed like one of the truly intelligent people to me, and I guess you really could get at least one those subjects done.

None of us know your father, of course... I'd tend to think that, if you go about this your own way, he will eventually come to terms with it and maybe even support your decision. Of course, there's always the chance that he'd just refuse to talk to you again but that's something you probably know for yourself, what kind of person he is. It also depends on what the field he wants you to study is. If it's the same field as what he does (or wanted to do) he may just be disappointed that you're not studying what he hoped for many years that you would study. If that's the case, sure he's very disappointed now but will probably come to terms with it.

If you do as your father wants, there are two problems. One is that you cave to their pressure and may thusly allow them to control you later in life, too. The other problem is that you'd get an education in a field that doesn't have your interest, and that's bad. If you don't have the interest, you won't do that well academically and later, you'll either have to work outside your field (usually a bad career choice) or you'd have to work in a field that you don't like, which is even worse. It seems like you have a chance to get an education (and later pursue a career) in a field that you like. That's very important and you should pursue it... if you can do that, you'll be happier for the entire length of your career.

I sympathize with your economic situation, I know that the current economy in your country probably means that you can't pay rent and feed yourself with only a part-time job, while a full-time job is stressful and difficult along with studies. My only advice there would be to try and get the best job you can, maybe you'll get lucky. See if you can get a job that would give you enough money while taking less time than a full-time job, that may actually be possible given your talents. You can PM me if you don't get what I mean.

Good luck
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Black marketeer?
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X