Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: O'Reilly / Obama Interview

Originally posted by Asher
    Jon Stewart plays nice, even with republicans. They seldom actually talk politics.
    You sure about that? In at least one example they even explicitly framed it as a grueling battle royale:

Saint McCain sits down with Jon for a spirited debate over Iraq policy. John Amato:..If anyone wants to write a transcript for the second half of th

I know you're not stupid enough to compare Stewart with O'Reilly...
    Likewise, I know you're not stupid enough to compare O'Reilly v1.0 interviewing one of his usual pushover guests with O'Reilly v2.0 interviewing a national candidate. Compared to his usual psychotic self O'Reilly was practically Mr. Snuggles in this interview, and Obama was probably smart enough to foresee that.

If you don't believe me, just compare and contrast for yourself:

Last edited by Darius871; September 6, 2008, 15:07.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

O'Reilly was "better" but still a FAR cry from Jon Stewart levels of cordiality.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

O'Reilly was "better" but still a FAR cry from Jon Stewart levels of cordiality.
        I'm not just talking about cordiality. When getting interviewed by O'Reilly - even the least cordial version of O'Reilly - the worst that can happen is that your substantive political stances get questioned by him and defended by you. Ooooh "argument," big whoop. Odds are you come out looking about the same or even better. In contrast, Stewart's only goal is to mock and ridicule you for the hypocritical joke that you truly are deep down, which stings in a very different way. You run the risk of "Presidential character" (for the lack of a better phrase; maybe ****-don't-stink-itude works better) being belittled, and you should know that is far more important to the average American voter than those "issue" thingys all the talking head guys keep jabbering about.

O'Reilly and Stewart are apples and oranges, plain and simple.
        Last edited by Darius871; September 6, 2008, 15:28.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Granted that I don't watch him much, but that's about the most civil I've ever seen O'Reilly. Direct questions with insistent follow-up, far fewer interruptions than usual, and even ratcheted back his usual level of sarcasm. Plus, he managed to include the bonus word, "bloviated."

I'm almost tempted to call it good journalism.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It's an interesting interview. I'm interested to see the parts that O'Reilly says get 'lively'.
            "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
            "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Just jumped in to say that while Stewart is cordial he asks very sharp questions and is very good at making the interviewee look ridiculous.

This is while O'Reilly only knows how to shout like crazy.

O'Reilly is a poor journalist with a bad temper.

Stewart has a nice cordial way of delivering very stinging comments and questions. So appearing on Stewart is not easy it all, IMO.

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that there's not a story there?
                When has that ever stopped the American press? They sure were insistent about getting Bush's college grades back in 2000 and they're now interested in whether or not Sarah Palin cheated to win the Miss Wasilla beauty pageant in 1984...

Mitchell said the Daily News received a call from a media outlet seeking the rules of the Miss Wasilla Pageant, presumably to determine whether Palin cheated when she won it in 1984.

There’s a growing backlash in and around Wasilla to the prying of the national media into the life of their native daughter and her family.

Face it, Americans. Your national media is a joke.

Comment

I wouldn't describe Obama's background as "poor," but he obviously wasn't "privileged" in the sense that guys like McCain or Kerry were.
                  You can't get much more privileged than Punahou, Columbia and Harvard. Even McCain, as privileged as he was, ended up going to the U.S. Naval Academy after his education in an elite private school and served in the military after that.

Comment

Yeah, because "a media outlet" looking into something foolish constitutes the entire media looking into it. Barack Obama's background received plenty of scrutiny during the primaries. If there was really something that juicy in it, it would likely be out in the open already. Everybody acts surprised that Palin is receiving so much scrutiny in the media after her selection. That's what happens when you pick a relatively unknown, relatively surprising candidate to be your running mate.
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Barack Obama's background received plenty of scrutiny during the primaries.
                      I'm sure you'll be able to point me to an article on Obama's grades at Occidental or Columbia, then.

Comment

You can't get much more privileged than Punahou, Columbia and Harvard. Even McCain, as privileged as he was, ended up going to the U.S. Naval Academy after his education in an elite private school and served in the military after that.
                        Getting admission to, scholarships for, and doing well in good schools is obviously not the same thing as being children of privilege. Unless you mean privilege in the sense of intelligence, rather than wealth.

Of course, intelligence and academic ability should clearly be scorned. Instead, let's get the dude who got into school as a legacy and graduated fifth from bottom of his class, and the chick who had to go through five schools in six years before one would give her a degree, neither of whom went on to get any kind of graduate education. Republicans
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Getting admission to, scholarships for, and doing well in good schools is obviously not the same thing as being children of privilege. Unless you mean privilege in the sense of intelligence, rather than wealth.

As a former private-school student and current undergraduate at a prestigious American university, I know this is false. I'm privileged and this privilege helped me to get where I am now, just like it did for the rest of my fellow students. I was lucky to not have to worry about whether I could afford to go to the best schools, let alone whether my parents would have enough money to pay rent.

Of course, intelligence and academic ability should clearly be scorned.
                          We don't know anything about Obama's academic ability before Harvard, since he won't release his transcripts. There's a chance he was actually a C-student like Bush, Gore and Kerry. America doesn't seem to have a problem with electing charming dullards.

Comment

I'm sure you'll be able to point me to an article on Obama's grades at Occidental or Columbia, then.
                            What, specifically, is your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

When former Hillary aides are saying the media's treatment of Palin was sexist, I'm seriously doubting its just a McCain campaign created thing.
                              thats the whole point of makeing here vp

Comment

I am the resident expert on US politics.

Sorry for being repetitive but that has to be the funniest thing I have heard here in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X