The Canadian Federal Election will probably be October 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil
    A week before the vote and the Conservatives finally get around to releasing their platform. Just more of the Harper openness I've come to love.
    You got me looking...but it'll be released at noon today.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

You got me looking...but it'll be released at noon today.
      Yes, sorry (in the spirit of the proposed Act). Not quite out yet but due today.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the economic issue. Harper can't announce anything radically different than what he has been saying lest he be accused of doing what he accused Dion of doing at the debate, yet not announcing "something" leaves him vulnerable to further criticism from the opposition that he is doing nothing or has no plan. Tough spot for him.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Latest Poll

Conservatives 31
        Liberals 26
        NDP 21
        Green 13
        Bloc 8

Conservatives now trail in Ontario and Quebec behind the Liberals.

Comment

• The economy is shaky, quick let's add a carbon tax. That'll fix it.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I haven't read the platform yet, but the summaries are promising.

Here we go: http://www.conservative.ca/media/200...Platform-e.pdf

Comment

• The Conservatives and Stephen Harper believe that the current Senate must be either
              reformed or abolished. An unelected Senate should not be able to block the will of the
              elected House in the 21st century.
              As a minimum, a re-elected Conservative Government will reintroduce legislation to
              allow for nominees to the Senate to be selected by voters, to provide for Senators to serve
              fixed terms of not longer than eight years, and for the Senate to be covered by the same
              ethics rules as the House of Commons.

Comment

The economy is shaky, quick let's add a carbon tax. That'll fix it.

Except they have stated it will be a tax shift.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Except they have stated it will be a tax shift.
                  Yes, a tax shift to tax the only part of the economy not in a recession more heavily.

It's a carbon tax, ****ing period. Part of the problem with Dion is he's pretending it's not a tax. We know it is. That's how it works.

He's promising that he'll cut taxes for other people. As if that makes it okay. He can't guarantee how much money he'll make with the tax, they're estimates. He has explicitly mentioned how much he will cut though. How much do you want to bet his cuts are conservative and the tax will bring in more revenue than needed?

Even if it was perfectly neutral, there's massive problems with implementing it in our economy right now. I don't expect you to understand yet, but maybe you will if you would care to do some research into the sectors of our economies -- which ones are holding our economy above the recession line, and then which ones will be hammered by the "green shift". It'll be enlightening for you, I'm sure.

Comment

Once again, what the ****?

Why are you looking at provincial coffers and assuming those are relevant at all here?
                    Dumbest argument ever.

It shows that Alberta does have the required surplus to absorb Dion's plan costs (by say, cutting down on royalties), making it neutral in the end to oil corporations.

And Alberta's oil production has been growing, not declining.

Comment

Dumbest argument ever.

It shows that Alberta does have the required surplus to absorb Dion's plan costs (by say, cutting down on royalties), making it neutral in the end to oil corporations.

And Alberta's oil production has been growing, not declining.
                      I never said it was declining. What the ****? Do you not comprehend the difference in fleeing investment and a decline in production? They're MASSIVELY different and you are displaying fundamental ignorance about how it all works.

You have no ****ing idea, honestly.

Comment

Yes, a tax shift to tax the only part of the economy not in a recession more heavily.

It's a carbon tax, ****ing period. Part of the problem with Dion is he's pretending it's not a tax. We know it is. That's how it works.
                        He's pretending it's a tax shift. Which if you could read properly is still a tax. His claim is about revenue neutrality.

He's promising that he'll cut taxes for other people. As if that makes it okay. He can't guarantee how much money he'll make with the tax, they're estimates. He has explicitly mentioned how much he will cut though. How much do you want to bet his cuts are conservative and the tax will bring in more revenue than needed?

He has promised the Auditor General would make sure the tax brings as much as would be redistributed.

Even if it was perfectly neutral, there's massive problems with implementing it in our economy right now. I don't expect you to understand yet, but maybe you will if you would care to do some research into the sectors of our economies -- which ones are holding our economy above the recession line, and then which ones will be hammered by the "green shift". It'll be enlightening for you, I'm sure.
                        Re-shifted money doesn't disappear. Reduced income and corporation taxes will spark new initiatives that will compensate. Added investment in green technologies would also be a long-term asset for the Canadian economy as well.

Comment

I never said it was declining. What the ****? Do you not comprehend the difference in fleeing investment and a decline in production? They're MASSIVELY different and you are displaying fundamental ignorance about how it all works.

You have no ****ing idea, honestly.

I don't even know what to ****ing say. You enrage me. This stupidity is epic, even Dion isn't this stupid. Even Ben isn't this stupid. I didn't think I'd ever see this happen.

You do study filosofy, I should've known.
                          As long as people get money from produced barrels of oil, I don't see the big issue in diminishing investment.

Comment

As long as people get money from produced barrels of oil, I don't see the big issue in diminishing investment.
                            That's because you don't understand the ****ing basics of economics. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating.

You don't see how an increased tax burden in an already expensive place to extract oil is an issue causing diminishing investment. **** economics, you lack common sense and basic logic.

I don't even know what to ****ing say. You enrage me. This stupidity is epic, even Dion isn't this stupid. Even Ben isn't this stupid. I didn't think I'd ever see this happen.

You do study filosofy, I should've known.

I'll tell you what -- as soon as Quebec starts giving billions of dollars a year to the rest of economy for decades on end, then you can make these demands. As it stands right now, Alberta gives far more to the rest of Canada than ANY other province by a large margin. This is ALREADY. You are demanding SACRIFICE by Alberta after they've done this for decades? You are demanding SACRIFICE by Alberta, which has ALREADY been screwed once before by Liberals like you from out east with the NEP? You are demanding SACRIFICE by Alberta when the province you live in always takes money from the rest of Canada to survive, AND when it has an opportunity to give back (eg, nationalizing your hydro resources) you guys scoff AND you end up screwing other provinces like Newfoundland.

Honestly, the nerve...it's extremely unnerving. You are pushing me to the edge of being an Alberta separatist. And I'll tell you what, if you honestly told Alberta what you're telling me right now, Alberta will separate. We're not going to give up our rightfully owned resource revenue to fund tax breaks in ****ing Ontario and Quebec.

You're now one of my most hated posters. Why do you want to destroy Canada?

Comment

• If you were a Québécois, you'd be the most nationalist of all. You're my beloved poster.

Comment

• Anyway, back to my filosofy essay.

I'll reply to your nonsense tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X