No announcement yet.

A question to posters who were "young" in the late 70's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody has mentioned another disco group (which like EW&F transcended disco): Kool & the Gang

Comment

The music sucked, the bars were cool, the women were easy, the beer was cheap.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Some seem to confuse danceable music with disco but its not the same thing at all.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

SpencerH:

Would Michael Jackson be pop or r&b to you? Stevie Wonder?

The point is that musical taxonomy is not perfect. Great artists transcend the little pigeon-holes of musical genres. Nevertheless, if they made a disco-like song in the disco era, that song was a disco song.

I don't see why you are insisting so hard that EW&F is not disco like disco is some evil thing that can not be associated with EW&F

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya
            Earth, Wind, & Fire had disco songs and were definitely influenced by (and influencing) other artists who were more explicitly disco. All good artists have cross-over appeal and are genre-benders. Take Prince for example who had songs that could be considered pop, songs that could be considered rock, soul, and even rap. EW&F had obviously disco songs like "Let's Groove", along with songs of other genres.
            FWIW, "Let's Groove" was exactly the song I had in mind when I mentioned EW&F (I had just heard it on the radio), though I agree with Spencer that, on the whole, they were not a disco band.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Does anyone remember "anti-Disco" night at Comiskey Park between the White Sox and Tigers. I think that was 1978 or 1979.

Comment

July 12, 1979.

http://www.discodemolition.com/

I remember hearing about it, as I listened to rock stations WLLZ and WRIF (The Home of Rock 'N' Roll, Baby! [/Arthur Penhallow]).
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Simultaneously one of the worst and best ideas in sports promotion history.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                  X