No announcement yet.

Little League legal drama -- self-serving stupidity in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the rationale behind not having one superteam - because otherwise all the good players will always try to form one superteam, whenever possible, rather than staying spread across teams so more people can play with good players (and thus learn more); but the above is not a case of that, obviously. I couldn't speak to Ben's experience, of course.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

My little league team was the "superteam" of our (tiny, insignificant) league. Our coach cherry-picked the best players first (and then tacked on some scrubs like me) and so we always won. We usually mercy-ruled the other teams. Not cool.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The little league team I play on is the best in the league also. I'm at least twice everyone's height.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

40mph could kill a 9yr.
          "

Comment

40mph could kill a 9yr.
            Which is why you make them wear the proper safety equipment, rather than screwing the kid out of his favorite position. Most sane leagues have inning limits, as mentioned before, so I doubt this kid was the sole factor in the team's success. Let him own a couple games or a couple innings per game or whatever. He'll have fun and the kids will learn to better deal with fast pitchers. It certainly doesn't get any slower after that.
            "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
            "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

If he's too good in that league, bump him up until he fits in.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Let me get this straight:
                (1) The League makes a ruling that, for the safety of other children, this kid is not allowed to pitch.
                (2) The team does nothing to protest or to appeal, but rather ignores the ruling.
                (3) When the League enforces its rule, the team still insists on having the kid pitch rather than play any other position. And so the League causes them to forfeit the game.
                (4) When the League tries to re-assign all the other kids to other teams so they can continued playing, they refuse. And then complain because they can't play.
                (5) Still, rather than appealling, the team tries to try it's case in the media.

I say, don't let the kids play. It will teach them that, when you don't follow the rules, there are consequences.

Comment

After three years, a developemental league should have a pool of highly skilled players to support either a small advanced league or a traveling team to compete versus other towns. This looks to be a failure of the league board to properly plan to build upon the success of their league. Also, the kid's mom is nuts. If I had a 9 YO son who threw 40 MPH with control I wouldn't have him in a developemental league.
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

The league had age limits, not skill levels.

The fact that the kid's mother is nuts doesn't excuse the league's changing the rules in the middle of the season. Most mothers go a little crazy over any perceived slight to their precious child. And her kid got screwed over. That doesn't change the fact that the league is being run by a bunch of self-serving jerkoffs. With a lawyer.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I read another article that explains what was going on.

The commissioner was stocking up a team of the best players to win the championship, and invited the boy. The boy turned it down. Took his team to an 8-0 record, and they were going into the playoffs where they were to face the commissioners' stacked team.

So rather then watch the scrubs crush the supposed 'best team', they banned the kid from pitching.

If they had concerns with safety, the time to bring them up was game 1, not game 8.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Move the kid on up to the majors.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                        X