Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently, they cannot afford meat in Ohio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    And don't forget about price markups for organic stuff.
    Made with real carbon!
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

It isn't new. I know people who have done that.
      I didn't say it was new.
      -rmsharpe

Comment

There is also the issue of portion control, or that people to day make no attempt to control their portions. A few years back I made an effort to restrict myself to one portion a meal. It is amazing how many things that you assume are one serving are actually 2 or 3.

Anyone want to guess how much soda the OP monsters drink a day?
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

What do we win if we get it right?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Their cookie jar, or in other words a lifetime supply of cookies.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
              There is also the issue of portion control, or that people to day make no attempt to control their portions. A few years back I made an effort to restrict myself to one portion a meal. It is amazing how many things that you assume are one serving are actually 2 or 3.

Anyone want to guess how much soda the OP monsters drink a day?
              Well there is the problem that sellers are making more and more massive portions making people think that's what a meal consists of. Usually when I go out to eat, I keep half aside to bring home for another meal, but for a long time I tried to finish as much as possible and, well, that's not very good.

I think its become something a social belief (for most people) that portions are supposed to be the mammoth size that restaurants give.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And even if you spent four of five dollars on dinner, you can easily get the average meal cost down with cheap cereal breakfasts.

Quaker Oatmeal canister? 10 dollars for 20 meals. Add water, basically free. Maybe a container of blueberries or a bunch of banannas to throw in for flare, five dollars for 10 meals worth.
                But I don't want to be eating lots of oatmeal because it isn't high enough protein. Well, I do eat it sometimes, and probably could more often, but still...

And yes, if I ate just beans and veggies I would spend a lot less. But that gets boring.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Then he must eat some expensive breakfasts. He gave us $400 for the month, I just took the average for 3 meals a day over 30 days to get $4.50 (actually $4.44) per meal.

JM, was that $400 on just groceries, or with going out factored in?
                  That includes going out (most of it). Probably doesn't include tea (which I have 4+ times a week).

Also, I don't really eat much different at breakfast from other times of the day. And my example meal of tofu + veggies is just 400 or so calories, I would need to eat at least 5 of those if I wasn't trying to lose weight (maybe more). And I do try to eat more than 3 meals.

In any case, I can (and do every week) buy three large boneless chiken breads for 12 dollars, which I thin cut in half and use for six meals, either grilled or chopped up with posta/vegetables, which on average gives me a $3 dinner.
                  Yeah, I know that chicken breasts are really cheap as far as getting good protein goes. It is one of the advantage that meat eaters have over vegetarians.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bowl of cereal + glass of OJ for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, and meat + small salad or veggies on side for dinner.

Ideally, anyway. My brain seems to think that a Whopper Jr is a "reward" of some stripe and sometimes becomes lunch. That and "must finish all on plate" doesn't help when there are huge portions in front of me.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

As long as the price of beer doesn't go up I'm fine. I have a 40oz for breakfast, a 40oz for lunch, and then a sensible dinner (like a 40oz and 2 fried chickens), and a 40oz before bed... and I fit the Norm.

Norm:

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                        That and "must finish all on plate" doesn't help when there are huge portions in front of me.
                        I think we can blame all our mother's on Americans being fat. Starving people in China indeed!!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I get upset when there is still food on my plate and I'm no longer hungry.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I think we can blame all our mother's on Americans being fat. Starving people in China indeed!!
                            And Africa. Although in che's and my case it could have something to do with the fact that there were 3 males at the dinner table (including dad) that if they didn't eat quick enough they wouldn't get second helpings. Back in the day when we could eat like pigs and not gain an ounce.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              As long as the price of beer doesn't go up I'm fine. I have a 40oz for breakfast, a 40oz for lunch, and then a sensible dinner (like a 40oz and 2 fried chickens), and a 40oz before bed... and I fit the Norm.
                              I have a freind who is like that, but he doesn't drink 40s. Instead it is lots of yuengling. Well, I think he has cut back quite a bit, and there is a lot of coffee in the morning.

JM
                              (well, he doesn't eat as much as two fried chickens for supper)
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Me too. Tupperware FTW!
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X