No announcement yet.

LordShiva and DaShi's homework: Teh Disadvantages of Elite Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's not an all-star money-grubbing athlete, he's a pure academic.
    Sig material here.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      They have an effect on how computer programmers think and what languages they choose to use.

Wrong.

The point was that faster and more refined computers have greater capacity in terms of programming languages which can be used.

Wrong.

True, but what's the functional difference between a Turing machine and any computer given infinite time?

Enormous. If you know anything about CS, you'd instantly know why, too.

Comment

Is that why quantum computing is so sought after? Come off it Kuci. Why would compsci take inspiration all the way up to the second world war, and then suddenly stop taking inspiration at all?
        The fundamentals of computer science have not changed since WW2.

It's patently clear to me you've no ****ing idea what computer science is.

Perhaps it'll be more clear if you use an alternative name for CS that is perhaps less confusing, like datalogy.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is that why quantum computing is so sought after?

1) Quantum computing isn't a case of taking inspiration from physics, it's an extremely rare (I'm pretty sure unique) case of new technology from physics influencing the theoretical properties of algorithms. And quantum computing is an absolutely tiny subset of CS.

Come off it Kuci. Why would compsci take inspiration all the way up to the second world war, and then suddenly stop taking inspiration at all?

Because compci barely existed before the Second World War, and became huge after it. Duh.

edit: this doesn't contradict what Asher said, btw.

Comment

• I'm going to bed.

Dikjstra once said "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes," so why don't you think about that for a while, Ben...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Enormous. If you know anything about CS, you'd instantly know why, too.
              Turing machines are just ideal models of computers with no limitations on memory or time. They can process a considerable amount more in a specific period of time then any physical computer.

Given infinite time, the output should be exactly the same Asher.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                I'm going to bed.

Dikjstra once said "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes," so why don't you think about that for a while, Ben...
                Ben even talked about how important telescopes are to astronomy. That should give you a hint how clueless he is about even his own goddamn field!

(Well, the one he flunked out of.)

Comment

• And you don't believe telescopes were revolutionary to Astronomy?

The whole concept of the perfectability of the heavens shattered in a fortnight?

Because compci barely existed before the Second World War, and became huge after it. Duh.
                  Oddly coinciding with the growth and use of computers. Tis a strange coincidence.
                  Last edited by Ben Kenobi; July 17, 2008, 01:32.

Comment

• I'm going to bed too. Jesus Christ, Ben, you make me cry.

Comment

• Pity.

Just when I was starting to enjoy myself.

Comment

Because there is a lot to be gained by working with people in a school environment.
                        Like copying their essays?

Originally posted by Asher
                        Are we talking about computer science degrees or programming diplomas?

I've never written a computer science exam on a computer. Ever. Always on paper.
                        To get my CS degree, I had to study algorithmization and programming in my first year.
                        If you've always written them on paper, what the hell did you need a PC for?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera

To get my CS degree, I had to study algorithmization and programming in my first year.
                          If you've always written them on paper, what the hell did you need a PC for?
                          For assignments and projects.

Exams are always written on paper. It's harder to do on paper and there's no crutches, and that is the point.

Comment

For assignments and projects.

Exams are always written on paper. It's harder to do on paper and there's no crutches, and that is the point.
                            Sometimes they are oral. And you can do your art projects at home anyway.

Comment

• Art?

Comment

Art?
                                Yup, why do you need computer labs to get an art degree? Don't you need paints and canvas and stuff like that instead?

Comment

Working...
                                X