Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LordShiva and Aneeshm paid for doing their business

It pays to go in a public toilet

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - It pays to use a toilet in southern India, as residents are earning close to a dollar a month by using public urinals, a scheme launched by authorities to promote hygiene and research in rural areas.

Dozens of people are queuing up to use toilets in Musiri, a remote town in Tamil Nadu state, where authorities have succeeded in keeping street corners clean with the new scheme, The Times of India newspaper said on Sunday.

"In fact, many of us started using toilets for urination only after the ecosan (ecological sanitation) toilets were constructed in the area," said S. Rajasekaran, a truck cleaner.

The urine was also being collected and tested for its efficacy as a crop fertilizer, an official of the state's agricultural university added.

People relieving themselves in the open is a common sight in India's rural towns and villages, as basic sanitation still eludes millions.

Knowing this, I don't think anyone here can take either one seriously.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Which is more sad, that general sanitation is so bad they have to pay people to use public facilities, or that a dollar a month causes huge line ups?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I am betting that LordShiva is North Indian.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think he's american.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

JM
          IIRC, he is from Bangalore.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

JM
            There's no need to be racist, Jon.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Should be a poll to see who would rather urinate in public or recieve $1/month.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles

There's no need to be racist, Jon.
                It is based on the discussion my roomate and a freind (and his freind) were having on the 4th. They are all Indians and they were comparing my roomate (south indian) who was more sterotypical south indian versus the freind who lived in the south, but was more similar to north Indians and his freind who was from the north.

Apparently the south is more traditional, and more often people know how to write/etc their own language. I gathered that the North was often more likely to do things in english/etc.

JM
                (The south is also suppose to have better cooks)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

How much are you betting, exactly?
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

People can be very traditional in teh South, but it's a more pacific, personal traditionalism rather than teh "redneck" or martial type that you find up North. Southerners are proud of their languages and non-Indo-European linguistic histories, so they make teh effort to learn their state's language (as opposed to many of teh elites in teh North, who default to Hindi), but at teh same time also have a greater proclivity for English because they see it as a more culture-neutral lingua franca and get annoyed when Northerners position Hindi as a national, all-Indian language.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The funny man stopped peeing on the streets to pretend to be English.

Comment

Somebody owes me hundred of dollars.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Peeing where we want is the sacred right of all men.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

So is eating cow!
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

It really depends on where you are, folks in the Punjab are very different from the folks along the Ganges, as are folks in Mumbai from those in Calcutta.

The south tends to actually be more urbanised and educated then the north, though it depends on whether you are talking about the interior or the coast.

I have a very good friend who's from India. Got married a couple years ago, and he invited me to his wedding.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X