I am not afraid to die, but I am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not afraid to die, but I am.

What scares me is the fact that, when you die, you just die. Period. Like a plant dies.

You can cut off my arms, you can cut off my legs, as long as I have my head I will be able to think for myself. And thats the only thing that no-one can take away from me, unless you kill me....except for a disease...or lobotomised... but anyhow.

This is what bugs me about death. And the fact that I would lose all my loved ones (and my cars and tools ) but seriously, just thinking about the fact that I would not be able to think brings chills down my back. But you know whats stupid about that statement? Its that if I die and I cant think anymore, why would it bother me?

So death is only scary in life. Death in death is un-noticible.

So why are we scared of death if when we are dead we cant realize it?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Why would you want to live forever? Eternity is a very long time. People forget that eternal life is a life sentence.

I look at it this way: eternal life or death, either way you're screwed.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: I am not afraid to die, but I am.

Originally posted by Spec

So death is only scary in life. Death in death is un-noticible.

So why are we scared of death if when we are dead we cant realize it?

Spec.
      Epicurus would like his argument back.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

WhoTF is Epicurus?

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

You more or less nailed it in your post. Humans literally cannot conceive of death. We are bombarded by an endless stream of sensory data, and death is, theoretically, the total absence of that.

It's said that humans fear the unknown, right? Well, death is the ultimate unknowable.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Why would you want to live forever? Eternity is a very long time. People forget that eternal life is a life sentence.

I look at it this way: eternal life or death, either way you're screwed.
            I ask you this, why would you not want to live forever? Life is usually fun, 80% of the time i'd say. So that would be a good deal.

If they cam out with a stuff that made you live forever, I'd drink it by the gallon.

Spec.

Comment

WhoTF is Epicurus?

Spec.
              The Greek philosopher whose argument you are unconsciously plagiarizing.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

The Greek philosopher whose argument you are unconsciously plagiarizing.
                I am not copying anything if I didn't know it existed.

And I am no philosopher. Just had time to waste on the pooper.

Spec.

Comment

WhoTF is Epicurus?

Spec.
                  A Civilization Fanatics poster. Who is arguing that the goal of life is to be happy. (If I remember correctly his famous debate in the thread about: Pain as evil)

Edit:
                  oops I was too slow.
                  bleh

Comment

I ask you this, why would you not want to live forever? Life is usually fun, 80% of the time i'd say. So that would be a good deal.
                    You only say that because you haven't lived that long. Someone who had lived for 10,000 years may well have a different perspective. Given a significantly long period of time, the chance that you would become suicidally depressed at some point approaches one.

Besides, if we were biologically immortal, people would spend all their time cowering inside, afraid of dying by accidental means.

If they cam out with a stuff that made you live forever, I'd drink it by the gallon.
                    Really? What if it made you immortal, like a God. You would have sentenced yourself to exist forever. That is not something to be taken lightly. Forever is a very very long time.

What people really want is not immortality, but the opportunity to choose the time of their own death.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Spec.
                      80% what do you live in a holodeck or something!
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Yup. And then when teh solar system blows up and you're floating in teh deafening silence of space with nothing within 20 million miles from you and no other life in teh universe, you'll realise that it's not such a good deal.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

While I also want to live forever, I find this figure to be highly suspect. You must live a fabulous life.

Of course, the chances of me becoming suicidally depressed reached one awhile ago, so my opinion may not be entirely valid.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Given that ~25% of life is sleeping, which is not generally 'fun' per se, the 80% number is very suspect
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Who knows? Maybe the secret to happiness is to only sleep 4 hours a night.

Comment

Working...
                              X