I am not afraid to die, but I am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon

You only say that because you haven't lived that long. Someone who had lived for 10,000 years may well have a different perspective. Given a significantly long period of time, the chance that you would become suicidally depressed at some point approaches one.
    Why?! Like I said, life is good 80% of the time atleast, why would I be depressed? And since you know no one that lived 10000 some years, how can you assum that?

Besides, if we were biologically immortal, people would spend all their time cowering inside, afraid of dying by accidental means.
    I disagree. It would really depend on you personnality. Maybe you would, but I would'nt.

Really? What if it made you immortal, like a God. You would have sentenced yourself to exist forever. That is not something to be taken lightly. Forever is a very very long time.

What people really want is not immortality, but the opportunity to choose the time of their own death.
    Ok. But being immortal but killable does not work as you stated earlier, so you're not making any sense.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Yup. And then when teh solar system blows up and you're floating in teh deafening silence of space with nothing within 20 million miles from you and no other life in teh universe, you'll realise that it's not such a good deal.
      Wtf? I never said anything about being unkillable or a god. I said a stuff that keeps you from aging. You still die if you get hit by a car.

Imagine all the knowledge you could have after 1000 years. Or for you, how many women you could knock up!

Spec.
      Last edited by Spec; June 9, 2008, 13:10.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Life must be so very hollow for those who believe death is the end. The older I get, the wiser I become, and each day I become a little bit of a better person. This personal progression would mean nothing if when I died I ceased to exist.

While I acknowledge your belief as death being the end of life, I cannot accept it, it is far too pessimistic and disturbing for me to embrace.

Whether I am right or wrong in my belief, it is irrelevant. However, believing that death is just the continuation of a journey we have already started helps me to face the unknown with a confidence I would not have otherwise.
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

You said live forever

Anyway, having such a long life would cheapen it. You'd lose teh sense of urgency, ambition, value of time, achievement, progress, etc., if you could live forever and get to try and fail at things over and over.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

For a moment I was afraid this was a bad news thread.

WRONG!

Originally posted by Spec

And I am no philosopher. Just had time to waste on the pooper.

Spec.
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Given that ~25% of life is sleeping, which is not generally 'fun' per se, the 80% number is very suspect
              Sleeping is fun as hell, but I dont count it as "living" time per se. And yes, my life is fun 80% of the time. You call it Fabulous, I call it normal.

80%, that means that 1 out of 5 days suck...

Spec.

Comment

You said live forever

Anyway, having such a long life would cheapen it. You'd lose teh sense of urgency, ambition, value of time, achievement, progress, etc., if you could live forever and get to try and fail at things over and over.
                True, but its failing at things that makes you better.

Its by making mistakes that you learn. And failing at things would be less of a downer for poeple with low self-esteem since you have all the time to get better at stuff. And the sense of urgency is what makes life so damn frustrating and stressful, its why we have road rage for example.

And I dont see why I would lose my ambition or sense of progress though. You either want it, or you dont.
                But if your statement is right about ambition, people would get less greedy in a way, and gas would cost less too.

Spec.

Comment

But if you had forever to do stuff, you'd procrastinate like hell, and since you could just keep failing, because you could think "whatever, I'll just try again," you'd become worthless and lazy. Urgency
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

But if you had forever to do stuff, you'd procrastinate like hell, and since you could just keep failing, because you could think "whatever, I'll just try again," you'd become worthless and lazy. Urgency
                    Maybe thats how you are, but I'm not. I dont like to fail even if I have all the time I want, its a question of ego. And I cant sit on my ass for too long, otherwise it gets numb and then it itches....but thats just me.

Anyhow, anybody thats lazy cant feel good about himself. Maybe they say they do, but inside they dont.

SPec.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                      Life must be so very hollow for those who believe death is the end. The older I get, the wiser I become, and each day I become a little bit of a better person. This personal progression would mean nothing if when I died I ceased to exist.

While I acknowledge your belief as death being the end of life, I cannot accept it, it is far too pessimistic and disturbing for me to embrace.

Whether I am right or wrong in my belief, it is irrelevant. However, believing that death is just the continuation of a journey we have already started helps me to face the unknown with a confidence I would not have otherwise.
                      Self-delusion != wisdom
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Maybe thats how you are, but I'm not. I dont like to fail even if I have all the time I want, its a question of ego. And I cant sit on my ass for too long, otherwise it gets numb and then it itches....but thats just me.
                        That's how most people are. Because they're mortal.

Comment

Imo, its mostly because of ego, and not because people age.

I cant see why someone would stop playing piano because they suck at it and say, I'm 35 now, I cant try to learn piano anymore, I am running out of time.

And most people I know are procrastinators by nature and lazy asses. Most people prefer sitting on a couch or playing video games on sunday afternoon instead of doing something productive. Its how humans are, conserving energy.

Spec.

Comment

I should be studying right now
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Nooo!!! Japher, dont you know you'll die in about 50 years?! Its not like your immmortal.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                                You only say that because you haven't lived that long. Someone who had lived for 10,000 years may well have a different perspective. Given a significantly long period of time, the chance that you would become suicidally depressed at some point approaches one.

Besides, if we were biologically immortal, people would spend all their time cowering inside, afraid of dying by accidental means.
                                Alternatively, a 10,000 year old might still like marshmallows, snowmen, rose gardens, the smell of new shoes etc. Some people would probably trade off a bit of a free will for an artificial means of preventing suicidal thoughts, so that the chances of suicidal depression are reduced enormously.

No doubt some people would wall themselves up in an immortal society. Some people do that now. Would everyone? I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X