I am not afraid to die, but I am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cartimandua
    Life must be so very hollow for those who believe death is the end. The older I get, the wiser I become, and each day I become a little bit of a better person. This personal progression would mean nothing if when I died I ceased to exist.

While I acknowledge your belief as death being the end of life, I cannot accept it, it is far too pessimistic and disturbing for me to embrace.

Whether I am right or wrong in my belief, it is irrelevant. However, believing that death is just the continuation of a journey we have already started helps me to face the unknown with a confidence I would not have otherwise.
    Well-said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Your entire life is spent walking down into your tomb, get over it or get with it.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
        Your entire life is spent walking down into your tomb, get over it or get with it.
        A CFC MOD! RUN!
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What girl would want to bang a 3673 year old guy? I'm 43 and most girls in their 20s already look at me as if i was either their Dad or an old perv.
          What?

Comment

So either their mother was a whore or you really are a perv?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
              What girl would want to bang a 3673 year old guy? I'm 43 and most girls in their 20s already look at me as if i was either their Dad or an old perv.
              Depends where you hang out I guess.

Go to Chez Pare, the'll look at you quite differently.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                So either their mother was a whore or you really are a perv?
                Hey! I still respected the mothers in the morning. At least as much as i did the night before anyway...
                What?

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Depends where you hang out I guess.

Spec.
                  Are you replying to the first or the second sentence?
                  What?

Comment

See edit, I made it clearer.

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: I am not afraid to die, but I am.

Originally posted by Spec
                        What scares me is the fact that, when you die, you just die. Period. Like a plant dies.

You can cut off my arms, you can cut off my legs, as long as I have my head I will be able to think for myself. And thats the only thing that no-one can take away from me, unless you kill me....except for a disease...or lobotomised... but anyhow.

This is what bugs me about death. And the fact that I would lose all my loved ones (and my cars and tools ) but seriously, just thinking about the fact that I would not be able to think brings chills down my back. But you know whats stupid about that statement? Its that if I die and I cant think anymore, why would it bother me?

So death is only scary in life. Death in death is un-noticible.

So why are we scared of death if when we are dead we cant realize it?

Spec.
                        well every living being avoids death (at least as far as I can tell), flies run away when you want to squash them, snails hide in their shell etc...

life is "unnatural state", most of the matter on this earth is not organized in "living" beings as far as we can tell... and naturally life wants to continue in it's "not to be a dust" state ie, dead ... I'd say give it another few thousand years and living forever could be achieved via some sort of technology... as if it goes the way we see life today, it seems it that death only a problem of information/engineering...
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Could we be the last generation to die?
                          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                            Could we be the last generation to die?
                            No I think there is another generation yet to go, but it gets close around 20 years from now what with stem cell and other advances.
                            Last edited by Hercules; June 9, 2008, 18:10.
                            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I don't really want to live for ever but I am interested in some BIG questions.

Are we alone in this Universe?

Are we unique?

An explanation for miracles.

Also I would like to live longer to learn about all those disciplines/ interests I didn't have time for when younger.
                              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

This weekend I was looking at life as a whole. Generally, trying to find the meaning of death. All things seem to live and die so that life as whole can go on. Perhaps, like cells make up the body, individual lifeforms make up the entity we know as life in general But damn it! I don't want to be a cell! Although, it does support my one soul theory, but what doesn't?
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X