No announcement yet.

Finalists for 2016 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I have no idea on specifics at this point.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I hope it's Chicago too... I don't really see Madrid winning, since the IOC seems not to prefer the games on the same continent twice in a row (last time that happened was London 1948/Helsinki 1952). Rio may have an edge, considering South America's never hosted it.

Comment

The only thing I am aware of in terms of actual details is constructing the Grey Line / outer Loop - a second 'loop' train going from something like Chinatown to Fullerton (or possibly the Brown line, I forget). Unfortunately i'm not sure how relevant this would be for the Olympics as it wouldn't really be in the right location to help with that as much as just with general congestion.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The naivte of some posters here is just painful. The selection committee manintains a pretence that facilities and infrastucture etc are important. The reality is that the games go to the city that:
          1. spreads around the most money to the committee members
          2. has the best looking hookers
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I think it should go to China again. They have most entertaining runup to the games.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
              Has to be Chicago. I could see Tokyo as a serious rival, but not only 8 years after Beijing. Madrid is a ludicrous idea (Samaranch is gone, thankfully) and Rio de Janeiro seems just a tad more safe for such a spectacle than Harare or Johannesburg would be.
              A buddy of mine went to Carnival this year. He was stunned by the crime rate, esp. the street-kid pickpockets and the police death squads arresting the kids, taking them out of town, and executing them.

I vote Tokyo.

Comment

and with 1.2 billion and counting they have some mighty sexy hookers
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

From your wiki article

Who do you think made up most of the "Mongol" forces and all of the navy?
                  Actually, a lot of Koreans.
                  B♭3

Comment

Also, Chicago deserves remediation for the thievery of the 1904 Olympics, when they were given to St. Louis because of the World's Fair.

The IOC lacked the balls to actually stand up to them, which is why those Olympics were primarily American, had ****e like Tug-of-War, and had the winning marathoner hepped up on cocaine and strychnine.
                    B♭3

Comment

The naivte of some posters here is just painful. The selection committee manintains a pretence that facilities and infrastucture etc are important. The reality is that the games go to the city that:
                      1. spreads around the most money to the committee members
                      2. has the best looking hookers
                      It's pretty amazing that Salt Lake City won a games.

I guess the winter games cost less.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

It's pretty amazing that Salt Lake City won a games.

I guess the winter games cost less.
                        Salt Lake was a pretty ideal location for the winter games. Location matters more for winter games, there are more specific requirements.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Chicago

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

From your wiki article

Who do you think made up most of the "Mongol" forces and all of the navy?
                            As Q noted, the Koreans would have been the Navy. China never was interested in a navy or seafaring - you must very poorly understand the (pre-modern) Chinese mindset if you think they had any interest whatsoever in that.

Regardless, Mongolia != China in any sense - they conquered China (parts), not the other way around. Whether or not some members of the invasion force may have been Chinese - and I doubt they had all that many - they certainly were not a Chinese invasion force.

Further, they didn't actually succeed - or even get close to succeeding - due to either the weather or the Japanese defensive forces. I personally suspect the weather (and their inadequately built boats, which probably would have been built by people not experienced in rougher waters) but I'm not an expert.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You realise you're debating a point based on a misunderstanding which was cleared up in post #21, right?

Comment

Maybe there's something wrong with your jokes Winston.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X