Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finalists for 2016 Olympics

Chicago, Madrid, Rio, and Tokyo.

ATHENS, Greece (AP)—Getting to the final phase was one thing. Now, Chicago has some hard work ahead to overcome weaknesses in its bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Chicago was one of four cities selected as bid finalists Thursday, along with Tokyo; Madrid, Spain, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The lineup sets up a high-profile contest featuring major cities from the Americas, Europe and Asia.

Failing to make the International Olympic Committee shortlist were three cities—Doha, Qatar; Prague, Czech Republic, and Baku, Azerbaijan.

The IOC said Doha had the potential to host the Olympics and even rated the Qatari capital tied for third with Chicago in its technical assessment. But the IOC said it turned back Doha because it proposed holding the games in October.

The finalists now advance to a 16-month race that will culminate on Oct. 2, 2009, with a secret ballot by the full IOC at its session in Copenhagen, Denmark.

“It’s a very competitive field,” said Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, who is trying to take the Summer Olympics back to the United States for the first time since the 1996 Atlanta Games. “The competition begins now.”

Chicago got a strong dose of reality in the IOC’s report assessing the technical bids, which cited problems with finances and transportation, among other things.

“We really respect the experts who have done the evaluation,” said Chicago bid leader Patrick Ryan, who had not yet read the report. “We’re going to learn from that. We’re going to respect it and we’re not going to alibi to ourselves about it. We’re going to do everything we can to correct all the deficiencies.”

Tokyo scored highest in the technical evaluation, which rated cities in 11 categories—including infrastructure, venues, transportation, security and finances—on a scale of 1 to 10.

The Japanese capital scored an overall average of 8.4, followed by Madrid with 8.2. Chicago was back at 7.0 with Doha, with Rio at 6.5. Chicago didn’t rank first in any of the categories, and lagged in fifth in three.

The early ranking is not crucial, however. When the IOC picked the finalists for the 2012 Olympics in 2004, London was ranked third behind first-place Paris and Madrid in the technical report. London went on to win the games in 2005.

“We’ll evaluate the report, look at the strong points and any weaknesses,” Daley said. “There’s always a wakeup call for everything. If there is any negative, you take it and try to be able to correct it, simple as that.”

The IOC report said Chicago’s wording on government guarantees “does not fully confirm” with requirements; questioned the $27 billion figure listed for highway and transit projects; said sports venue construction budgets “appear low and may warrant review,” and cited a “lack of detail” in plans for transportation between venue clusters.

“We’re very pleased, but at the same time sober knowing we have to improve and have a tremendous amount of work ahead,” U.S. IOC member Bob Ctvrtlik said. “This is the first hurdle. … We’ll keep improving until we submit our bid book.”

Cities must submit their detailed bid files to the IOC by Feb. 12, 2009. After that, a panel of IOC experts will visit each of the cities, tour the proposed sites and meet with bid and government leaders. The panel will release an evaluation report to the IOC members a month before the October 2009 vote.

Madrid is back again after a third-place finish in the vote for the 2012 Olympics.

“I think there are about 40 million Spaniards that want us to bring the games home,” bid leader Mercedes Coghen said.

Tokyo, which held the Summer Games in 1964, hopes to bring the Olympics to Asia eight years after Beijing.

“Now it’s full steam ahead for my team and the Japanese people,” Tokyo bid chief Ichiro Kono said. “We have no time to lose in preparing the best possible candidature file for the IOC.”

Rio would become the first South American city to host the Olympics.

“We’re very happy—the emotion to have a city of a country that never organized the Olympic Games among the others that have already organized. It’s a great challenge but I think we are ready,” Rio bid president Carlos Arthur Nuzman said.

Whether to include Doha in the final mix shaped up as the main issue for the IOC executive board. In the end, the IOC said it couldn’t accept Doha’s proposal to hold the games from Oct. 14-30 to avoid the searing summer heat. The IOC prefers the July-August time slot.

The board “unanimously decided not to grant this exception as it conflicts with the international sporting calendar and would therefore be bad for the athletes and for sports fans,” IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. “It would disrupt athletes’ training programs and overload the sports schedule at an already busy time of the year.”

Doha, capital of a tiny but wealthy Arab Gulf country of about 1 million people, had loomed as the wild card as it sought to bring the games to the Middle East for the first time.

“While we are of course disappointed, we remain extremely proud to have been given the opportunity over the past 12 months to demonstrate that Doha is a truly modern and developing city, able to compete with some of the world’s largest capitals and able to host international sporting events of the highest standard,” Doha bid chairman Hassan Ali Bin Ali said.

I highly doubt Madrid will get it since it would be the third summer olympics hosted in Europe in 12 years and fith olympics hosted in Europe in 12 years. Tokyo wil be the second Asian city in eight years and fitting the olympic crowd in Tokyo doesn't sound easy.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

I vote Tokyo. It is the furthest from me.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Rio would be nice since it would be great to see Latin America win a major games event though I'm not sure their infrastructure is up to the challenge.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Tokyo for shizzle. Can't wait to see their mascot.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ll of them suck, but I doubt they could blow their budget by a bigger margin than London.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Has to be Chicago. I could see Tokyo as a serious rival, but not only 8 years after Beijing. Madrid is a ludicrous idea (Samaranch is gone, thankfully) and Rio de Janeiro seems just a tad more safe for such a spectacle than Harare or Johannesburg would be.

The World Cup will be in South Africa in 2010, right? I wonder if FIFA is still happy with that choice in view of the most recent events there.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
              Has to be Chicago. I could see Tokyo as a serious rival, but not only 8 years after Beijing. Madrid is a ludicrous idea (Samaranch is gone, thankfully) and Rio de Janeiro seems just a tad more safe for such a spectacle than Harare or Johannesburg would be.

The World Cup will be in South Africa in 2010, right? I wonder if FIFA is still happy with that choice in view of the most recent events there.
              Tokyo is not in China.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They used to be, couple of times.

Comment

Used to be when

Anyhow, certainly I think Chicago is helped by the proximity of the Beijing Olympics, two Olympics in Asia in three Olympics would be rather much. 2020 or 2024 would be better for Tokyo.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Used to be when
                    Spoiler:
                    Oh, on a few occasions where they invaded, I don't know if you've heard..

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      Oh, on a few occasions where they invaded, I don't know if you've heard..
                      No. Please enlighten us.
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I'm fairly conversant on East Asian history, and can't recall a single time when China attempted to claim Japan as its territory.

Generally the Chinese considered Japan to be a land of barbarians...

Tell you what. Read over this article and point me to the part where Japan was occupied by, invaded by, or owed tribute to China...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

$27 billion for highway and transit?

/me whistles
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Anyhow, certainly I think Chicago is helped by the proximity of the Beijing Olympics, two Olympics in Asia in three Olympics would be rather much.
                            Right now I'm thinking Rio's the best choice.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Poll.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X